Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backspacing for rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AmericanFreak, May 16, 2003.

1. AmericanFreak

AmericanFreak Registered Member

Im going to be swapping in my ff 14bolt soon and converting my 6 lug front to 8 lug so im going to need new rims. Im just going to get black steel ones cause theyre cheap and i dont have to worry about scratching or denting them. My question is i want to run 38x12.50x15 what backspacing should i get with a 15x10 8 lug rim? Also any opinions on which brand of rim i should go for? All the input would be most helpful

Cody

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

well do you want the front to be wider than the rear (like it is now) or widen the rear out to be even? i would do the same back spacing all around that way one spare is all you need. some peeps like the wider look on the rear end but its not for me. i would go 4.25 its what i did and it looks bad a$$. look at my rig in members rides www.highboyz.com see if you like it? also us wheel makes a steel white wagon spoke wheel for around 28 bucks. sand it up prim it spray it voila a black steel rim for cheap.

3. AmericanFreak

Hey 83pjw does your 44 up front handle the ez lock? break anything or any up grades?

4. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

it is a 10 bolt but i did the 8 lug conversion... and i have only snapped 2 axle shafts do to my own stupidity. it is awesome though as long as you dont ram the snot out of huge boulders and wheel with some sence it will never break.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    My question is i want to run 38x12.50x15 what backspacing should i get with a 15x10 8 lug rim? Also any opinions on which brand of rim i should go for? All the input would be most helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

brands: I really like Eaton HD steel rims. I got mine from national tire and wheel. Mine are 2.5" of backspacing, but I think you can get them in whatever BS you want. Personally, I think 3.5" or so would be best... if you ever get a dana 60, the less bs you have the less you will have to grind on your calipers if u have 15" rims. Personally, I already had to grind because my street rims have 4.25" of bs, so bs on my off-road rims wasnt as much of a concern. Im not a guru on the subject but other ck5'ers have said that low BS rims can cause more wear on various parts...bearings and such. These same peeps seem to agree that on 1-ton axles, its not a major problem. <shrug> 3.5" would prolly be a good compromise between clearing brake components and the whole part-wear issue. Just my opinion...

j

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'd go with 4". That's about as much as you can run before you start getting mighty close to your center link ends. The less backspacing you have the more bumpsteer. Also, the less backspacing you've got the more wear on balljoints and wheel bearings. Ideally, you want the center line of the wheel to be inline with the balljoints.

If you want your rear tires to stick out as much on the back as the front you can run 1.5" spacers on your 14FF. It's not much of a big deal on a fullfloating axle whereas it's hard on a semifloating axle.

7. daimok

daimok Registered Member

as probably one of the few freaks here that run a eaton 1 ton , i ended up with 6" of backspace. eaton drum brakes are HUGE.

daimok

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I just ordered 2.75 bs Pro Comp wheels from 4wpw in 15" 8 lug. Don't have them yet but paid $60 each (chrome). Black is a little cheaper.

9. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

According to 4WPs, the product lines they carry don't make an 8 lug 15" wheel with 3.5" or 3 5/8" BS. It's either 4.25" or 2.75". I just received my 2.75" BS 8 lug Pro Comp wheels. Really wish I could have found some 3.5" BS though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. AmericanFreak

cool thanks for all the input really appriciated. I think ill go with the 2.75. Mudstud i looked on 4Wp and couldnt find the procomp line with the black steel rims could you post the link for me?
    Thanks cody

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

another reason why 4wpw sux. Try rockstomper or national tire/wheel. Either one can hook u up,

j