Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backspacing

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Jul 23, 2004.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that it has been gone over before (probably in a post that I was a part of), but I tired of looking through old posts for what I was looking for.
    The K5 will be getting a 14bff and 3/4 D44 within the next couple of weeks and I need to get some wheels for it. I am going to be running 35x14.50x15 Swampers and will be picking up a set of 15x10 wheels. I need to know the backspacing that I am going to need to run before I can order the wheels.
    Thanks.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

2.5" to get it wide and not have to grind or 3.5-3.75" is normal.
    You still going with beadlocks?

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I might get some of cybrfire's beadlock rings.
    Right now everything is coming together in one huge week of purchasing so I can't afford them just yet. Hopefully sometime down the road. Probably a couple of other items first though.
    Thanks Jeremy. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Hey, are those 2.5" going to put excess stress on the bearings or should it be chill?

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

2.5's will be fine. Also if you add the rings later you may look at a 8" rim. they will add some width once welded on.
    Actually a 10" would be better cause those 14.5's when aired down get quite wide. I was thinking mine were 9" to start but they were 9.75 as most 16.5s are, so a 10 would put them very close to mine in width.

5. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Thanks Buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hell i broke 7K and didn't even notice,LMAO!!!!!

I'd have ya try my beadlocks on yours but your axles are at Jeffs.
    You'll get that done in time for the motor work /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Where are your beadlocks?
    Are they still up at T-Roy's? I dropped them off there a long time ago. Yeah, I was just talking to Jeff about how excited I was when he told me to "baby it" as soon as I get done tossing thousands into it to be able to take it out and beat the hell out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I will PM you about the engine work that I need done. Questions about it rather. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mine at in my shed at my parents , yes it's locked,LOL
    I have one mounted and the other 3 are still in the boxes.

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine at in my shed at my parents , yes it's locked,LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
    Damn. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the funny part is my brother would gladly unlock it and help ya pack them off,LOL. He keeps telling me that he took my locked axles out from under it too. SO I'm having him tow it here in 2 weeks so I can work on it and keep an eye on all my parts,LOL.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have some 15x10 eatons with 3.5"BS I removed less material then had been rusted away in some parts of my calipers. If you go to 2.5" BS you will most likely be into a "reverse center" wheel which would be almost imposible to mount the tire from the outside.

12. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Meaning impossible to get a lug wrench in there since the mounting surface would be so deep?

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

No...Hard to get the tire on the wheel. Wheels normally have a recess for the bead to sit in on the outside while you are putting the tire on the rim. When you go past a specific ammount of BS (different for all rims but 2.5" is most often reversed) they have to turn the wheel around on the center so the recess is on the inside. Everything works fine and dandy till you put a beadlock on them because the tire shop will just put the tires on from the back of the rim. When you put a beadlock on most wheels you will be able to mount them yourself at home...maybe even by just jumping on them (it is the 2nd bead that is hard to get over the lip). When you reverse the center the bead won't have anywhere to sit while the other side is trying to streatch over the lip. You would have to take them to a tire shop and they might even have trouble getting it on with the machine!

14. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif