Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backspacing?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jamiemac, Apr 12, 2001.

1. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

Just purchased a set of axels. Dana 44 front 8 lug,and a 14bolt ff rear. Ordering 15" wheels, what backspacing should I run 2.5" or3.5". Also installing disc and caliper on rear off a 44 3/4 ton front. Any help would be appreciated.

88 Jimmy 5.7,35" boggers,6" of lift.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Backspacing is the space between the back of the wheel mounting flange and the rear bead on the rim. The lower the number, the further the wheels will stick out. Most people who run 15s on 8 lug axles (myself included) run 4 1/8" backspacing, some run 3 1/2. Even with the wheel tucked in the well more, the amount of grinding necasary is still not a lot. Numericly lower backspacing will make the tire stick out further putting more leverage on your wheelbearings and ball joints, which are already under ecxesive stress from the 14" wide boggers. Plus (like wider tires) it increases your turning radius. I made this simple drawing so you can mabye get an idea of what I'm running on about.
    [​IMG]
    I would go with the 4 1/8", its what most 15x10s are and it wont stick out too far, increase turning radius or wear components prematurely

[​IMG]