Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backup/Directional Light Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Jan 20, 2001.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

About 2 weeks ago I noticed I didn't have any back up lights on my 85 K5. All the fuses were good so I removed the rear tail light lens and alla of the bulbs tested good but I replaced them because the lead contacts were pretty wore down. I then had back up lights. The other day a person told me that when I had the left directional on the back up light was blinking. The next day I again removed the lens on the left rear tailight and double checked to make sure the right bulbs were in the right place and they were. At that time I noticed that 2 of the metal tabs on the body that secure the bulb socket assembly to the body were rusted away which I assume would allow the socket to wobble around as I go down the road. Could this be the problem, and if so how would I go about fixing it...........thanks

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would go get some nice rust free units out of a salvage yard and swap 'em out.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I think you're talking about the little metal tabs that slip over the sheet metal for the screws to turn in that are rusted away. This could make your tail light assembly move around some, but it sounds like you have some wiring problems. Something like a chaffed wire for the turn signal and the back up light. Try inspecting all the rear wiring.

[​IMG]

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Goose,

The metal tabs I am talking about are the ones on the body that the j nuts (clips) slip over. 2 are completely rusted away. I should have explained that better. I did inspect the wiring but didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Now I am wondering if because the bulb socket assembly is not connected because of the 2 rusted body tabs, if for some reason it is not getting a proper ground, and if a bad ground would be causing this problem....any ideas on this theory, and if it could be the problem how could I fix it........thanks

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i think goose has a good point with the chafed wires. when you are out 4x4ing you could have gotten the wires pinched and now they rub together while driving down the road

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

OKay, you're on the right track. Make sure you have a good ground, or it will try to ground where ever it can, even through a very low voltage connection. (light a reverse light). Splice on some new connections, clean the mounting places and it should take care of it.

[​IMG]