Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

backup light switch adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Oct 21, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

When I put my K5 in reverse I have to hold the auto column shifter up to get the reverse lights on. Is there an adjustment on the column or linkage or on the tranny for this?

Its just hard to turn the wheel and hold the shifter up lol /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

My truck does the same thing, so I'd be interested to know also.
    My solution so far...bought a pair of 55 watt driving lights, mounted them out back, and have them wired to a switch. It's like daylight back there when turned on. (Great for plowing - seeing as how I've got that factory limo tint)

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes there is an adjustment, it's a module on the bottom of the steering column in the back. It's the same for the starter lock out too so make sure that you adjust it in a way you get the reverse light to work and the starter to engage both in neutral and park. It should be off by a hair since you can get the light to work at the edge of the reverse zone.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check your tranny mounts. If the tranny has shifted then it puts tenssion on the shift linkage. Bad cab mounts will do the same thing. I cured most of my problems when I replaced my cab mounts by adjusting the shift linkage at the tranny. Get it in Park. Chock the wheels. Loosen the adjuster nut on the shift linkage. Make sure the Tranny is centered in park. Make sure the shifter is centered in park. Tighten adjuster and see if that cures it AFTER you check for busted motor and tranny mounts.

6. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

thanks Grim