Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BackYard cooling system rinse

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigwalleye, Dec 9, 2005.

1. bigwalleye

bigwalleye Registered Member

I got some atf that has leaked and foamed up in my cooling system. What is the best way to rinse that crap out?

2. bigwalleye

Is it true a little dish soap is a good idea to clean that crap out?

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

question: how did ATF get in your cooling system?

I would take a hose and run water through your rad until it all comes out. put the hose into the hole from the water pump on the top of the rad, not the cap, and run the hose so the fluid comes out of the hose from the water pump. get it? its kinda hard to write.

4. bigwalleye

My internal tranny cooler is leaking. I also need to replace the thermistate. When I pulled the old one off the pink atf junk is pretty think in the engine. I really want to flush all the fluids out before putting in the new thermistate.

I was thinking about running a hose in to the rad and disconnect the return and run the truck to force clean water through the whole system. I was told a little dish soap will break up all the junk and help clean it out.

What do you think???

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What I think...

I think I'd be more concerned about what the prestone and water mix is doing to the clutches in your tranny more than ATF in the coolant.:eek1: --
    Oil and water don't mix well,and most will flush right out of the radiator and block with a garden hose..a small amount wont really hurt anything in the cooling system..it'll act as water pump lube and anti-rust..soap will cause foaming,and will be difficult to rinse out completely--if anything
    , use regular cooling system flush..

But anti-freeze and tranny clutches and seals don't get along at all..I'd drop the pan and change the tranny filter and flush the tranny out, by using the cooler line removed and pointed at a bucket method,dumping in more fliud as its idling,as soon as possible..(or have it done at a tranny shop on the machine)--it takes only a small amount of water in a tranny to rust up a valve body beyond repair too.. :crazy:

6. bigwalleye

Yeah I am trying to stay positive about the tranny. Thanks for the advice.. If the tranny dies I am going to switch in a sm465.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It might live...

I had a 63 Impala a friend owned that had a cracked block AND a ruptured tranny cooler in the radiator--you could pull the radiator cap,engine dipstick,and tranny dipstick,and all 3 looked like the same "fluid" ...a pink strawberry milk shake!..:eek1: ...

It had a 283 and a powerglide..its former owner was too cheap to use antifreeze,because it leaked some--so he just added water ,or windshield washer fluid if he had the money..:rolleyes:

My friend bought it for 50 bucks to use as a "winter beater"..we drove that thing all over the place,and beat the crap out of it too..eventually its frame gave way,and the rear axle's "panhard" rod broke away from the frame,and let the rear end sway around so much the tires sidewalls rubbed on the frame rails and popped!:haha: ..it still ran and drove though..cant kill those old powerglide trannys..or 283's either.

Your tranny might live too..positive thinking hurts nothing!~..I assume your putting in a new radiator or adding an aftermarket tranny cooler in place of the ruptured one in your radiator.. Wix makes an add on tranny filter that looks like a gas filter that goes in the cooler line..might get more of the water out of the tranny if you add one of those..:crazy:

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dish washer soap is a great cooling system cleaner. A cup full of cascade will clean your cooling system sparkling clean. Just be sure to drain the coolant all out before using then flush it all out after using. Works way better than those cleaners you buy at auto parts stores:thumb: