Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad ass 66' chevell

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by rdn2blazer, Jul 26, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

check out my buddy's 66'. it just needs the interior to be finished then its done, after 4 long years. he's a welder by trade so he rewelded 100% of all the factory bugger welds with 7018 rod, layed down some bitchen beads. then had it powder coated gloss black. every thing in the car is powder coated that color. has a toms 12blt rearend with street/strip axles, hotchkis suspension, billstein shocks, bear brakes front and rear discs, factory 396BB that about 450hp, m21 four speed, custom built drive shaft that will handle 800+ hp cause later he wants to drop in a 572BB. a gear vendors over/under drive, hurst shifter with button on side for over/under unit, budnic wheels, entire motor is billet polished aluminum, big custom aluminum radiator, march pullys, holly 750 annular discharge carb, scat rally pro 2000 seats. will have custom black interior, vintage air in car air conditioning. all new glass. and on and on. he let me drive it, i can say it hauls ass ans handles like a slot car.just put a 3500 doller stereo and alarm in it too. the thing is beautiful.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats just perfect . I love the origonal classic lines , the paint color , the newer rims and rubber while still looking classic :pimp:

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

this used to be my car in high school.

then i sold it to my father and he did a frame off restoration, with some mods.

ryan

4. rdn2blazer

nice 67' too. in my buds 66', every bolt, nut, fastener, than can be stainless is except where strength was a concern, he used grade 8. he does have some of the ARP high strength stainless too which has the same rating as G8, but man are those ARP fasteners pricy.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Wow!! Those are both great looking cars. I'm wanting to buy an older Vette and do a frame off. I used to have a '74 Vette in high school and I'm kinda of looking for another one now. Everyone needs a Vette or classic Chevy muscle car to go with their K5. :saweet:

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

awesome cars. 66-67' A-bodies are the ultimate muscle car IMO.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Very very nice !!!!!!!! Needs alittle more sidewall on the tires, but other then that, it's a show stopper.

8. rdn2blazer

z3pr, i tried to tell him that cause he asked my openion when we went to buy the tires but he did'nt heed my good judgment :D, these tires wont last long, though, every time he drives the thing he doing burnouts in the neighborhood. i am going to convince him next time to get a different tire.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used too like the look of low profile tires, but after having a set on the 85 Monte Carlo, I found the ride quality wasn't as good with a tire that has a little more side wall.

10. rdn2blazer

the trend is the "pro touring" look, which is cool, but im still a fan of pro street. they may not be practical on the street or great handling in the turns with pizza cutters up front but i think muscle cars are for the 1/4 mile. i still love drag racing.

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I found a convertable Chevelle sitting in the weeds the other day. If I weren't restoring a house trying to get ready for a new little girl, working on my shop, working on my barn, working on my K5, and working on my wife's '52 Ford Customline I'd like to buy and restore it. I think I need to finish some of my other projects before starting a new one. :D

12. sputch

sputch Registered Member

That this is so damn nice. '66 Chevelle has been on my dream car short-list for the past 10 years. I'm damn jealous.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Merlin 572BB?

14. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Dont forget that GM sells a crate 572 :D :D :D

15. rdn2blazer

my bud ran his vintage air air conditioning unit in the yellow 66' for the first this past weekend to see if it worked like it was suposed to. well the inside the car it went from 85 deg to 49 deg ambient temp in no time. was measured with a calibrated refridgerant temp sensor gage, with the temp gage put right to the vent it was blowing a cool 46 deg. needless to say he is very happy with it.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I love A/C in cars !!!!!!!!!!!

17. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

im lovin it, everything on it from the color to the stance very nice. Ive been wanting a 66 for some time now ,that or a 66 nova. That is one sweet chevelle though.
    How is the overdrive unit?

18. rdn2blazer

the GearVendor unit works flawlessly. when your cruising along at a steddy rpm and say your in 2nd but the r's are kind high and ya hit 3rd and there about right but your in trafic so you have to back off a bit, now third is a bit tall, not lugging just not as responsive. thats where 2nd over is perfect. there is a button on the side of the Herst shifter, you push it in and give the clutch a stroke and it activates the next 1/2 up gear. if you were to try and bang through ALL the gears including the over/under it would get busy unless you got used to it and got real good at it.

19. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Great looking car. I usually don't like the look of the newer styled wheels but they fit that perfect

20. rdn2blazer

still has that classic crager 5 spoke look to it.