Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Ass B-52 Model Plane

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Jun 22, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

(Dial up beware !!!)

Actually has 8 "real turbines" at about $1500 each!

Took over 2 years to build. It has a wing span of about 22 feet.

Takes multiple pilots, as there are so many things to control.

Unbelievable that someone would make this - all real turbines! Check out the movie link below to see the first flight.

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/B52_flight2.wmv

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

29.1 Megs!? there is no way I'm downloading that here at the house! I'd be here all day! :)

3. 86kansask5

86kansask5 1/2 ton status

Cooollll!

That BUFF is cool. It's freaking huge! We have a model aircraft club near Enid and watching those guys is pretty neat. This thing is a monster!

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And it's last flight video.

Clicky!

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Awww, man! That sucks, see all your work just nosedive....

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Wouldn't want to be stuck in the desert in a "flight of the pheonix" scenario with that builder... :whistle:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If that's correct and the builder had 12,000.00 in engines alone you'd think he'd build in an emergency descent chute just in case. Expensive lesson.

8. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

The problem with a chute on a model that big,fast and heavy is that the structue of the plane would not hold up too well to the sudden deceleration. As for the smaller ones a chute would likely do the same thing but if not, they would add extra weight, servos, and take up too much room. Have you ever seen the insides of one of those? And im not talking the 150$ 2- chanel, bring it home and its ready to fly planes. Theres not a lot of room inside to put much of anything. Besides... chutes would give you a false sense of security and impair your judgement so to speak. Easier, cheaper, and better just to learn to fly them corectly and occasionally crash.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well, if I had over 12 grand invested in a model replica I'd spend the extra money to add a high speed 2 stage drogue chute recovery system in the design. Just in case.

I'd rather have minor damage from deploying at high speed than a complete loss from a stall or servo failure. If your intelligent enough to build that aircraft in the first place you smart enough to design a fail safe and squeeze it into the fuselage.

Maybe he's got plenty of money and could care less, maybe he's insured, maybe he's a purist, who knows. It just seems like common sense to protect your investment to a certain degree.

just my .02

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

very true you avatar changeing bastard!!!!

but you wouldent build something like that or even try to fly it with out a SH*T oad of time behind one, and he was goo landed it befor perfectly, so he was probably over confidand, that his "Not a bring home and fly plane" is so good he could control it.

"with pride there is a stumbling."

and i would be way more inpressed if it could drop some mini bombs!!!!

11. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

They do have dogfights with them. Air powered bb guns. That would be a little spendy for me. They build the planes in sections and can swap them out in very little time.There is also model naval battles. The ship battles are a lot less pricey than their air counterparts but just as fun too watch.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

As a bastard I'm a minimum of 2 notches above your current societal standing in the self inflicted malpractice club. Just don't expect me to cut off your next gangrenous limb you big glass eating oinker. :D