Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad baffle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JF 89K5, Aug 15, 2000.

1. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

My 89 died again, It died while driving and then started up and I drove it home.

I cleaned the ground for the fuel pump/gauge, like suggested a couple weeks ago, After doing this I drove it around, the fuel gauge still didn't work, until I took it down a bumpy gravel road, then the fuel gauge started working again (it was stuck at full).

I read some posts about baffles in the tank that can come loose and cause the problems I am having.

What exactly are the baffles? Any other thoughts on what's causing this? It runs now, but who knows when it will strike next and leave me stranded.

Thanks,

JF

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What are the symptoms, i believe I missed the origianl post.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

read screwy gas gauge, should be around page 23, I think the baffles ( dividers in the tank) are there to stop the gas from splashing around to much, probably helps to keep gas over the pick-up.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

4. JF 89K5

Symptoms are:
    1. Gas gauge started acting screwy about 2 months ago.
    2. Died for the first time 2 weeks ago and has died while driving 3 times since that.
    3. Sometimes it will start up again right after it dies, other times it won't start for hours. Will always turn over though.

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    When it wont start is it do to lack of spark? or lack of fuel?

I think you have two different, unrelated, problems!
    #1 the dying and not re-starting, and
    #2 gas gauge not working

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I agree w/Scoobydoo. Gauge is probably a loose wire somewhere. If something came loose in your tank and starved the engine of fuel. Just sitting there wouldn't fix it. I'm not clear on your engine wiring in an '89, but you may check all your wires behind the dash. Make sure all the bundled wires are plugged in tight, etc. (I didn't read your other post so you've probably already done this) I know on my '73 the hot wire for the ignition goes clear into my dash area before going back to the ignition. If it gets loose, everything shuts down. Idea? Does an '89 have some sort of circuit braker instead of a fusible link in the ignition circuit? Or coil circuit? Electric fuel pump? That could explain the shutting off and re-starting.

7. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I was the one that posted on the bad baffle. The baffle in my tank was a piece of plastic that is shaped like a box that your fuel pickup line goes into. It's purpose is so when your gas gets low in the tank and it splashes around that it won't splash out of the baffle. My blazer ran but not well. It would lope, like it was starved for gas. Well it was, the baffle had came off of one of the studs and was swinging in the tank and kept hitting the fuel pump. Eventually it hit the fuel pump half way off of the little rubber fuel line between the fuel pump and the line to the throttle body. I had no power, and giving it any just made it worse. I barely made it to my house which was 2 miles away after 25 minutes and proceeded to change fuel filters, rebuild the throttle body, and finally decided to drop the tank. Even checked all the electronic sensors on the Throttle body. Don't know if this helps. Hope it does. Good luck - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Could be low fuel pressure. Baffles would cause this going around a corner. Would also think like scoobydoo that these are seperate problems.

9. JF 89K5

Thanks for the input, I will double check my wiring.

It's very strange, b/c the first time it happened was at night, wouldn't fire up and got a tow home. Next day fired right up. Drove around close to home and it died. Waited 5 min. and it fired up. I cleaned the ground (by the tank to the frame)and it drove fine for a few days, then it died again, but fired up right away??

I will check for spark next time it happens, if it doesn't just fire right back up.

I agree the gas gauge could be unrelated, I just thought that there could be something in the tank (loose baffle) or something else, causing my gauge to stick and messing up my fuel pump.

Thanks again,

JF

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have a couple of thoughts:

First, if it is a fuel delivery problem, how long since you changed the fuel filter?

Second, if the truck is dying without sputtering or losing power for a few seconds first, it doesn't sound like fuel is getting cut off. Since you have TBI, you normally have a few seconds after the pump dies before your fuel pressure is too low to run, unless the engine in under heavy load. The best way to check this would be with a fuel pressure gauge. You could also check the voltage going to the fuel pump. However, since the problem is intermittent, it may be hard to find.

Here's some things that you may find useful: Generally there is an oil pressure switch in the engine block that is in series with the fuel pump. This is to ensure that the delivery of fuel stops if a gas line is ruptured (like in an accident) and the engine stops running. If this switch was going bad, it could turn your pump off while you drive. For starting, the fuel pump is normally powered through a relay. Since yours starts right up, this relay is probably good. There may also be a resistor in series with the pump, which could have a crack in it. I have seen bad fuel pump resistors cause intermittent running problems. I hope that some of this helps.

Are you sure that the problem is with fuel? Does the computer log any DTC's?

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

11. JF 89K5

Thanks Blue85,

I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump a year ago.

It does just die w/o any sputtering. No I am not sure it's fuel related, hard to figure since the problem is so intermittant.

I haven't hooked it up to a computer, don't want to go to the dealer!!$$

I will check into the cutoff that you mentioned.

JF