Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad ball joints or wheel bearings ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by old clunker, Mar 30, 2006.

1. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

On my 78 3/4 with a D44 when i jack up the wheel, i can move it about an inch back and forth,12:00 and 6:00 . I figured ball joints but when you look at them and move the wheel you see no movement. It is the same on both sides which i find somewhat weird, i have no idea how old the ball joints are but they don't look too bad. It seems that only the outer part of the wheel moves like the hub and rim. Maybe the bearings need tightened, if so what torque are they tightened to. I need a little help because this is my DD and can't really just tear it all down just to check to see whats wrong.The tires are also 35x12.5x15 mud kings on 15x8 rims. They are a fairly skinny 12.5 tire

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you're getting vertical movement and it's not the ball joints, it has to be the wheel bearings. They don't just loosen by themselves, though. As long as they were installed properly, that is. If it was put together wrong and you've been driving it like that, then the bearings are probably toast, anyway. Since both sides are the same, then there's a good chance whoever had it apart last screwed something up.

Go get yourself a set of new wheel bearings and rear seals and then disassemble the hub. It shouldn't take more than couple hours to strip it down and replace the bearings. If you get it apart and by some miracle the bearings are still good, then you can take the new ones back to the parts store or save them for the future. They will go bad eventually.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

great vendor for parts like bearings and seals is nowparts. thay sell timken and natinal seals.

also jack up axle and take weight off tire. put prybar under tire and pull up this will proporly check for b/j play.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Autozone also sells Timken.

5. sweetk30

price out 2 bearings and races with 1 seal. then go to now parts and look at there prices for 4 bearings and 2 seals at the same price as a/z half kit.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The price of not having to wait for mail order...

7. sweetk30

8. old clunker

old clunker Registered Member

Thanks for the help, i figured wheel bearings. I will just replace them. I also have to do new axle joints. I was told the spicer 5-760x are the best for the shafts ?. What about the spindle bearing? replace when apart anyway?