Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GQ 350, Jun 29, 2003.

1. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI have a 1980 3/4 ton chevy truck, my Dad bought it new in 1980, and has told me that the brakes have never been that easy to push (the pedal). The truck stops just fine but, one must really push hard on the pedal, it is almost like it has manual brakes. Which it does not, it is the 8,600 GVW so it has the big brakes and the double vacume booster, the master cylinder was changed years ago and it is possibly the wrong one but unlikely.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong?????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like the brake booster. mine does the same thing and my booster is out....im just too lazy to replace it

NITRO

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds like you have a vacuum problem with the booster... is it getting vacuum?

4. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

The booster seems to be fine it holds vacum (when i remove the vacum line to the booster you can hear the vacum suck into the booster), and is getting lots of vacum to it from the engine. It also has stoped the same way with both engines, the original 1980 400 SB and and the fuel injected 1996 350 vortec.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

mine will hold vacun over nite, but it just sux ass at assisting the pedal.

NITRO

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Should have two or three "assists" after the truck has been turned off and sitting for approx. 45 minutes.

Of course if the brakes have never been "normal" the amount of "assist" you are getting may be hard to tell.

7. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Should have two or three "assists" after the truck has been turned off and sitting for approx. 45 minutes.

Of course if the brakes have never been "normal" the amount of "assist" you are getting may be hard to tell.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes the truck does have 2 to 3 assists after the truck is been turned off /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

mine does too

NITRO

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes the truck does have 2 to 3 assists after the truck is been turned off

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be smart, but if the pedal effort is very high, how do you tell when you have assist and when you don't? Are you saying the assist *is* noticeable, just more effort than other vehicles you've driven?

After it sits for 45 minutes or so, it still has "assist"? (rules out leaking booster)

10. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes the truck does have 2 to 3 assists after the truck is been turned off

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be smart, but if the pedal effort is very high, how do you tell when you have assist and when you don't? Are you saying the assist *is* noticeable, just more effort than other vehicles you've driven?

After it sits for 45 minutes or so, it still has "assist"? (rules out leaking booster)

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="orange"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifThe pedal is a bit hard to push but it is no where near as hard as what a manual brake truck would be, (i have driven both types of braking system) so i would have to say it is harder than other vehicles. I know that Chevy trucks are bad for having hard to push pedals, but i think that mine should be a bit less harder to push. I have also read that the controll valve on the front cross member can also get air caught in it, and must be bled seperatly by cracking the highest outlet but i havent got to trying it yet. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <font color="orange">