Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Brakes!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by fbronson, Feb 19, 2004.

1. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

I have been having a little trouble with the rear brakes on my '83 6.2L, and I was wondering if someone more knowledgable than I might have any ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Not too long ago, my brake light came on, and the rear brakes stopped functioning. I reset the Combo Valve, checked the whole rear system for leaks and kinks, and I even pulled the Master Cylinder apart, cleaned it, and checked all the seals (they all seem to be in good condition). After putting the whole thing back together and bleeding both the front and rear brakes, No Rear Brakes! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I hate to take it to a shop and give them my life savings, especially if it is a small detail that I have missed somewhere.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had a similar problem, but mine ended up being 2 things:
    The tubing to the rear was plugged I replaced it although I could have just cleaned it.
    And the other thing was the adjustment on the drum rear brakes, if they are not adjusted you will not get any action and you will always trigger the light in the dash.

3. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

Checking the drums, good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Yeah, sometimes I'm not the best at all the details! If I'm lucky, that'll be it.