Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad bump steer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ilikemud, Mar 31, 2004.

1. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

just finished doing the ball joints and rest of the front end on my 78 blazer i replaced everthing but the shocks and the 31in. tires... and now it seems to handle worse than it did before... when the wheels are straight there seems to be a dead spot before it will turn but only while moving and it has the worst bumpsteer i have ever witnessed!!! any help PLEASE!!! new steering box, no frame crack, all new tierods, wheel berrings, ujoints, seals, rag joint ok. dana 44 8 lug, could the axle have the wrong caster angle??

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lift or no lift? Swaybar or no swaybar?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Stupid question, but did you do the work yourself, and afterwards was it aligned ? Just from what I read I suggest rechecking everything, and if it wasn't aligned , get that done . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Do you even have a steering stablizer on there?

5. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

yes there is a swaybar, poly bushings. there was a dual stabilizer on there and i replaced it with a single cause both were shot. yes i did do all the work myself then had the whole front end alligned at a reputable shop. not too sure how much lift, either 4 or 6 inches... longer brake lines, and raised steering arm... stock draglink and pitman arm (everything is level)??

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, lifto-bumpstero, very classic syndrome on these trucks.

The softer the spring, the more bump steer you will have.

Depending on how your spring sits, you might/may be able to use a different combination of Z links, droped or raised arms/pitmans to get the proper angles. Even then I dont think most people can get rid of all of it.

Which sway bar do you have, and did you use a ORD disconnect kit?

7. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

well i am not sure what sway bar...but it is more than an inch thick and solid. as for soft springs... i have been on steel wheeled farm tractors that have a softer ride! the steering arm says skyjacker on it... i will go measure how tall it is now... but it is practically level with the pitman arm... and the steering isnt lessened when turned to one side...

8. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

well i measured from the flat top on the drivers side knuckle to the top of the flat on the steering arm where the 3 bolts go to secure it to the knuckle, and it is a hair 3 inches tall... from the top of axle tube to the top of the steering arm where the draglink bolts is a bit over 8 inches... i am getting ready to just part the truck out and start with something new... not a disgarded project... please help if youu can!!!

9. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

?any one?