Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad Cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jace71, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jace71

jace71 Registered Member

Ok, took my blazer to the local mechaninc that our police dept. uses to see why my truck would bog down and misfire under a load.....Basically if you drive normal without flooring the gas it runs fine, but if you floor it and try to get somewhere in a hurry it misfires, bogs down, loses power, etc....it drove it and basically stated that it needs a new CAM...does this sound right at all? and he quoted me $1000 for a new cam and lifters installed, I said no thanks I can but a crate motor for just a little more!

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Is it poping up through the carb/throttle body? Usually when a cam goes south it will be fine at lower RPM's but will start to pop back through the carb/tbi at higher rpms when your getting on it. One way to check it is to pull a valve cover and measure the cam lift at the rocker arms with a dial indicator. Intakes should all be the same and exhaust should all be the same. Measure the overall lift and compare on all eight cylinders.

3. jace71

jace71 Registered Member

It is popping up through the carb......now Ive got to figure out if its worth replacing the cam or just doing engine?????

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

How many miles are on it? Most likely it is fairly high since the cam is going. If you do the job yourself it will cost between 180-300 depending on the brand of parts, roller will double that. I would think strongly about replacing it with a crate motor if that is the case. If you are looking for a good quality stock or mild motor with a good warranty I would get a GM crate engine.

5. jace71

jace71 Registered Member

Honestly I have no idea, I just picked this thing up about a week ago........If I buy a GM crate motor out of jegs for $1500 what all would I need to purchase to complete it?

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Should be able to take all the parts you need off of your old motor, clean them up and reinstall it. Just be prepared to replace broken exhaust bolts, exhaust gaskets, intake gaskets, v/c gaskets, oil pan gaskets, and things of this nature. You can also get a more complete version (for more money off course) if you do not want to swap all this stuff over.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is the engine in a good state of tune? Like new plugs, wires, cap rotor. Basically a major tune-up. Have you checked timing, carb operation etc. These things may make a major difference. Also try a compression test.
    Then post back up. I wouldn't go settling on buying an engine just yet.

8. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

:waytogo: What he said, have you worked on motors ? you really need to get more opinons, it could be 20 different thigs, Dave