Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad CV shaft's?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by BowtieBlazer, Dec 29, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Bad CV shaft\'s?

What makes bad CV joints most noticable on a FWD vehicle. I have a 99 626 car in suspecsion that I am checking out. Slightly creeks at a stop turning full lock to full lock on the steering wheel. At slow speeds makes a humming noise, almost like tires rubbing, which turns to Vibs at 20-55 interstate speeds the humming and vibrations level out to a ziiiiiiiiing. I crawled under and grabed each CV shaft and they had noticable play in and out of the wheel in park and some up and down play, If i remember right CV's are much like u-joints and should be fairly stiff and greased...... Mileage on the car is 93,000. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Bad CV shaft\'s?

They should click around corners when badly worn but dont always do it. I ve repaced em on chrysler and it was always a pain. Got to undo knuckle from lower a-arm and move the whole assembly out of the way and slide axle out. You just leave it hanging from strut. But it sounds like that car needs a pair of cv shafts, more expensive but easier than putting joints on shafts.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

cv shafts are pretty easy to change.. you pop off the wheel, unbolt them from the spindle, unbolt the lower control arm, pop it down, hammer a couple times on the cvshaft to start it back through the spindle (air hammer is preferred).. yank the knuckle/strut out of the way, and yank the shaft, reverse..

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep they not bad, hardest things are popping inner shaft back into transaxle, and bolting back balljoint up again

oh and getting original shaft nut loose at rotor hub, those can be tight tight

all done then

good luck