Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad day becomes how to get a welder for cheap!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fjleiter, Jun 27, 2004.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Been wanting a little flux core/mig type welder for a while now. Already have a nice ARC welder and torch setup so didn't need anything fancy. Been looking at the Campbell Hausfeld, Harbor Freight, Lincoln Weld Pak type welders... So... With the birthday coming up, decided to pick up the Lincoln Weld Pak from Home Depot.

Wake up this morning, call Home Depot to make sure it's in stock (don't want to make an hour long trip to find out they don't have any). Clerk on phone tells me they have one in stock and one on order... I ask her if she can't set the one in stock aside for me (tell her I will pick it up today). She says "no problem" takes my name and have a nice day etc...

Now for the fun part... Wife has to work. Looks like I'm stuck with the kids... Fortunately, the in-laws take the 4 year old for the day. Now I only have the 1 year old to deal with. Grab a shower, feed the baby lunch, get her dressed and off we go...

Make the long drive to home depot and as I'm pulling in the parking lot I hear the baby crying (she's in a rear facing car seat so all I can see is the top of her head..)
    At first I think it's the tractor trailer next to us scaring her. Then the smell hits... Baby is puking all over the back seat and herself. Remember she just had a nice big lunch... which is now ALL OVER HER AND THE SEAT.... I figure I am already here, I will clean her up, pick up the welder and go straight home. I end up stripping her down to her diaper and a t-shirt because her overalls and socks shoes etc... are covered in puke, as well as the car seat. Clean up what I can and head into the store.

Walk in the door and one of the cashiers (older woman, who mentions she has lots of kids and can tell what's going on) hands me a roll of paper towels and some bags "to clean out my car when I leave". I'm thinking that was really nice of her!

Get back to where they keep the welders, no welder in site /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Spend ten minutes getting an "associate" as they call the clerks... He goes to check where the welder is they are supposedly holding for me. Returns and tells me that they put it at the service desk but they sold it to someone else...

Now I am /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif... Clerk tells me that I can have the display model (which is covered in ten layers of dirt and dust) for full price.

I hear a large POP noise as my sanity slips away with my self control... I go off on him and the manager who quickly appears... Manager ends up giving me $75 in gift cards. Ok..Cool, I can handle that. Welder is now only going to cost me $125, clerk packs up the display model and I grab some extra welding wire. Get up to the check out and the female clerk who helped me when I first walked in is ther to check me out.

As she is checking me out she grabs the extra welding wire spools and says "the welder kits come with welding wire in the box". I tell her I know and that I am buying extra. She says "No!, they come with wire in the box" and proceeds to put both extra spools into the welder box and then charges me for just the welder.

As I QUICKLY load up the blazer, get the baby in her sloppy car seat and head home. It almost made the smell of baby puke bearable... (of course she had to throw up all the way home as well...)

All in all I'd say it was a bad day turned good. If it weren't for the baby getting sick I never would have gone off like I did and probably wouldn't have gotten the discount I did (as well as the free extra wire) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifcool I hope the kids feeling better too... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifcool I hope the kids feeling better too... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, she's a champ. Gave her a bath and a bottle and she was back to tearing the house apart in no time...

(Her brother loved riding in the car, always falls asleep in like 5 minutes, the baby HATES IT!! 1 out of every three or 4 times she will get massively car sick, other times she will cry her head off)

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I hate home depot. I can't stand going there.

Their tools are made in china, 2" is the biggest steel pipe they carry, chain with a 2,000 lb working load limit is all they have......

Whenever I go there for something they don't have it or it's cheap crap.

The local one here has been flying a tattered, NASTY American flag for 4 months now. Every time I drive past the place I go up just to see if it's still there, but there's more.

One night I snagged the assistant manager, took him outside, showed it to him, and told him that he better fix it. I said it just like that too, that it was a disgrace and should be fixed immediately.

He agreed, said he'd fix it before the store was closed. I told him no, that he would fix it right now, he smarted off to me and went inside.

I called his boss the following morning, ripped him a new a**hole and he assured me that he would fix it.

Two months later, a tattered, NASTY looking flag that looks as if you tied it in a knot still flies in front of the building.

Want to know the worst part?

There's a huge display of flags for sale the instant you walk in the door. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

GOD DO I HATE HOME DEPOT! I ALWAYS go to Sears instead now!!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you only knew how often my oldest daughter has puked on me and my wife...<shudders> I can still smell it when I think back. If I was that lady I would have rung in the spool of wire and mentioned that the welder comes with the wire. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When kids get sick, it's brutal. Hope the little one is feeling better now.

Rene

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    If I was that lady I would have rung in the spool of wire and mentioned that the welder comes with the wire

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rene, I like that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you only knew how often my oldest daughter has puked on me and my wife...<shudders> I can still smell it when I think back. If I was that lady I would have rung in the spool of wire and mentioned that the welder comes with the wire. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When kids get sick, it's brutal. Hope the little one is feeling better now.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

My son (4 years old) has puked 4 times (besides the typical baby spit-up), all 4 times were on me, once when he had the flu, got me while I was sleeping. Woke up to him crying, saying daddy and leaning over me. 2 seconds later... whammo. Other 3 times were 4th of July 2001, 2002, 2003... Fireworks scare the heck out of for some reason. All 3 times he puked inside my jacket (while I was wearing it, would hide his face and then bang... recycled dinner for a jacket liner)

Daughter only does it in the car, loves all noises except our carbon monoxide sensor and the vacuum cleaner... Wait till she's older and married, doesn't look like she's destined to be the happy homemaker /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Sad thing is, I grabbed the wrong wire... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I was that lady I would have rung in the spool of wire and mentioned that the welder comes with the wire

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rene, I like that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Sad thing is, I grabbed the wrong wire... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still would have rather paid for the wrong wire and got a free welder then paid for the welder and got the right wire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Can't argue with that!

[ QUOTE ]

I still would have rather paid for the wrong wire and got a free welder then paid for the welder and got the right wire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Must just be the store near you, the Home Depots out here are great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif