Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Electrical System????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Dec 7, 2002.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 with a bad rod bearing. I am going to rebuild the engine. The problem is, when I went to pick the car up for the first time, the battery was dead. I thought, no big deal. I put in a new battery and it ran fine, for a while at least. I first noticed that the heater fan would sometimes slow down and the lights would dim when driving. Then the truck just cut off all together. Before I could drive the maybe 7 or so miles back home it cut off three more times. I also noticed that the volt meter was reading 8. I was wondering if this was a bad alternator, or just a bad voltage regulator. I hope it isnt the alternator because that is alot more expensive than the voltage regulator. I would have it tested at autozone or some place like that, but I am not going to drive it again until I rebuild the engine because of the extremely bad knock. I am pretty sure it is the alternator, but I just want another opinion. Thanks for all the help. Harrison

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The alternator is pretty easy to pull, why not just yank it and take it in? Got a voltage regulator you can steal from something else? I'd use that and try it out if you don't want to buy a new one. They're a good thing to keep with you on the trail though.

I always take a ignition control module, a coil, two old radiator hoses, and an alternator belt. Someday a voltage regulator will go in the survival kit as well.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

An alternator rebuild kit (with brushes and bearing even) just cost me $15.