Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad front tire wear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Mar 9, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I put a six inch lift on my burb about two years ago. I have gone through two sets of tires already. They are wearing really bad on the outer shoulders. I put a 2.5 degree shim in the front to help with driveline angles. Can this wear problem be corrected with a alignment or do I need to take the shims out? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif If I take the shims out will grinding on the CV be enough to relieve the stress on the driveline u-joints?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your camber is most likely not correct and is causing the funny tire wear. You'll need to have it checked by an alignment shop and then put a shim between the spindle and knuckle to correct it.

That is assuming your ball joints aren't loose.

3. scoutillac

Everything is brank spanking new. I have a hook up at the parts store. All four brand new spicer ball joints for 95 bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

You have too much camber.
    The GM spec is a joke /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Mine was set at 2 and ate the outer edges up real fast /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I wanted mine set to 1/8 to 1/4 but the guy set it to 1/2
    So far looks good. I think a 1/4 would be just about right.

5. scoutillac

[ QUOTE ]
    Your camber is most likely not correct and is causing the funny tire wear. You'll need to have it checked by an alignment shop and then put a shim between the spindle and knuckle to correct it. How would I figure out what degree shim I would need so I can do the work myself and then get it aligned? Or is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your camber is most likely not correct and is causing the funny tire wear. You'll need to have it checked by an alignment shop and then put a shim between the spindle and knuckle to correct it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I researched this, I found no hope. There are supposedly offset Ball joints, i dont know. Good luck!