Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Ground?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Blazin'Grrl, Mar 28, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Asking this for my friend. He has an older Cadillac....He grounded his amp to the frame of his car, scraped it down to bare metal where he put the ground. The amp is wired straight from the battery, but hooked into the remote wire, so it turns off when the car does....but when he gets out of the car, it shocks him now.....what the f*$#? any ideas?

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

If it shocks him, I wouldn't think it was a bad ground, rather a short. A bad ground would cause the amp to not work or work off and on. It sounds like the amp may have an internal short in it which is sending voltage to ground. Have your friend take a test light and hook the ground lead of the test light to the frame. Disconnect the ground lead from the amp and touch the test light to it. If it lights up, then there is voltage running through the ground wire which means the amp is shorted out inside.

Diesel
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is[​IMG]

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Wow Shocks him? Haven't heard that one before. Sounds like the amp might have some internal ground problems. There are some prety big storage caps in amplifiers and they can give a really good jolt. I would check like the first post said and use a test light to see if voltage is passing through the car. If it is? then unhook the amp and test again.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Make sure the ground wire is as big as the power wire (diameter size) and as short as possible, the problems sound more involved than this but these are safe guidelines to follow anyway...is there any static or Hum when the amp is on? Is there a noise that gets higher pitched as the engine is reved?..These are commonly associated with a bad ground...

5. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

Hehe...I think we figured it out :) my friend's a dumb@$$ !
    He was wearing shorts, and has really hairy legs, so it was just a static shock. Checked the amp anyway, it's fine :)
    thanks

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>