Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Howling sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 18, 2001.

Help, I have a horrible howling sound that sounds like it is coming out of the middle or rear of the truck, sounds like tires rubbing, or the chain in the x-fer case (208)? Could it be the rear axle (10 bolt)? It does not make the sound all the time, just often, then it will just go away, usually after I stop to let a friend out to listen. Then a few miles down the road the howling starts again, goes along with the revolution of the tires. Checked the tires and they are not rubbing anywhere.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. **Top**

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Rotate your tires and listen to see if anything changes. Is it a shrill howl? Could be axle bearings or pinion bearing.

3. No, more like a low howl, it is being made by something that is turning along with the wheels, even in neutral.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Give your drive shaft a good shake. If it moves its your u-joints. Is it at a certain rpm when it starts does it stop at a certain rpm. Does it get worse at any point?

5. I did give it a shake and it seemed tight, the sound seems to get worse when I start slowing down after hearing it. I don't think it happens at a certian RPM, I thought it might be the drums, seeing how it gets worse when I slow down and the worst right before full stop. But however it usually does not start again when I start driving after stopping to look at it.

It's weird, thought it might be the x-fer case also because it is chain drivin, but that is my extreem novice guess

thanks for your help Fr8!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Get a longer, strong screw driver and stick it in-between the u-joints and and try and move it. Just grabbing the shaft and trying to move it by hand, may not tell you.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Pull the drain plug or one of the lwest bolts on your case and see if any metal shaving come out. If it is the chain there would be pieces of its in there. the only problem is if the chain went then you wouldnt be moving. I learned that from experince. BTW does your truck move forward by itself easily at idle on flat ground?

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Like emmett said shaking sometimes doesn't work. I would hear this bad clicking sound, thought it was my gears, locker i couldn't figure out what it was, finally i replaced the rear u joint and it was fine then. - Doug

Doug Krebs

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is not a big deal to pull the driveline and give it a closer look - you can then check for binding/slop.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

if it howls even when it's idling, then it can't be anything in your drivetrain (ie., u-joints, differential)...I'd be suspect of something up front (power steering pump), or if ya know it's from the rear, either a weatherstrip/window leak, or maybe something from the exhaust (?).....if it howls when it ain't movin', it's gonna be something truly weird......just can't imagine a Tcase chain rubbin'.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

11. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry....I just reread the post....I'll vote along with Pinion bearing and/or wheel bearings....seems a bad ring and pinion would make the sound all the time....I've had Ujoints make weird noises like a "travelling" sound also....I'd change them just cause they are so easy, and ya can't always get 'em to wiggle to prove they're bad......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..