Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad ignition module

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by irepou, Nov 3, 2006.

1. irepou

irepou Newbie

:confused:I have an 84 K10 burban and I have blown 4 Ignition modules since june of this year, Any ideas on the problem. It has a new alt, starter, coil,cap and rotor, stater and this last module last only 2 months.:confused:

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Did you try replacing the wiring harness that goes between the base and the cap? You get a new one when you replace the RFI condenser. I've had them go bad before.

Also, measure the voltage going to your coil. If it's too high or too low, it can cause the module to crap out.

3. irepou

irepou Newbie

no I haven't. but since I need to take a trip to the parts store I will pick one up as well. that is the last of the electical parts in the distributor. Might be the reason also for the radio squeal I get on start up sometimes.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It may be the alternator. Make sure your alternator is grounded properly and make sure that you have good engine-to-frame and engine-to-body grounds. And frame-to-body too.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Might just be getting cooked from the heat...........IIRC, you're supposed to put a dab of white grease under them before screwing them down. :wink1:

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Looks like white grease, but it's supposedly a special heat conducting grease. Using it IS important as the dizzy body acts as a heat sink for the module.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yep..

The "module grease" IS important--and the spot the module sits on must be clean too!..other than that,voltage spikes kill modules more than any other cause,so good grounds and making sure the alternator isn't over-charging is a good place to start..I had a truck that popped 3 modules rapidly,but all were cheap aftermarket ones..I put a used Delco one in and it ran 3 years until I scrapped it with no problems..China parts SUCK!..:crazy:

8. irepou

irepou Newbie

It crapped out again but this time I think IOI found out why. The wires from the stator rubbed through and exposed the bare wires