Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad injector?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell Keys, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Every once in a while after driving a bit I will notice at idle my 6.2 will have a miss. Kinda like one of the cylinders isn't hitting. I've never really worked on diesels much and would like to know is there any way to test the injector? Does it have to be done with a machine? Could an injector have an intermittent prob like this? Sorry for all the ?'s at once.
    -Russell

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

There is a setup we used to use to check pop off pressure, I sure any diesel shop would have one.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If the miss is consistent enough that you can feel it at idle, you can crack open an injector line at idle. This is like pulling a spark plug wire off on a gasser.....it kills that cylinder. This should help track down the problem. If you find a cylinder that doesn't change engine running when you crack open an injector line, you've narrowed down the problem.

If the miss isn't there very often, it can be hard to track down. You might try checking the compression. You have to use a special compression tester that scews into the glow plug holes.

Casey