Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad luck with headers....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just finished replacing a header gasket. this will be the third time since i installed them. first ones lasted about a year, second ones two days, third leak right after i put them on. headers are doug thorleys. first gasket was the one that comes with the headers, the second two are mr gasket ultra seal i had laying around. this last time i used edelbrock gaskacinch sealer, supposed to work wonders. didnt this time.

the gasket leaks out of the top of #'s 4+6. i think part of the problem is the way the y pipe tweaks the header, pulling the top out slightly. i'm hoping i can solve this by using a good thick gasket like what came with the headers, along with the gaska cinch. the mr gasket ones are pretty thin. what type of gaskets to you guys use?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

pull the headers back off the heads. Run a bead of red silicone around each primary. Let it sit for a few minutes so it has a slight chance to dry, carefully reinstall(2 people really helps here) and bolt them up snug. Run them, retorque as usual, go with it. I have a little leak on the one side I need to redo but far better than any gaskets ever were. My cousin's race car and my dad's are this way as well as my Suburban.

3. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

same here ever since i saw your tip a while ago... :thumb: :saweet: no more leak.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've always used manifold gaskets instead of that junk they sell for headers. Never had a leak at the heads, just prob's at the collector.

Manifold gaskets are easier to install too.

Rene

5. ironnut

ironnut Registered Member

I had the same problems with my header gaskets blowing out. I use a good header gasket that has metal woven in the gasket. You can get them at most auto part stores. I think they were like 30$. just make sure you check the header bolts every now and then for tightness.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

use manifold gaskets and dead soft aluminum collector gaskets. never had a problem with leaks.

7. short sub

short sub Registered Member

THIS ALWAYS WORKS FOR MY ME- i use two gaskets per head and get the copper (goldish colored) rtv to glue the two gaskets together. then bolt them up and theyll form to any warped surface no matter how bad. try it im sure itll work for ya. lata ryan

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

all the old drag guys cut the headers between the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th pipe.... that way its not fighting itself. wish i had done it before i reinstalled mine

9. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

copper gastket with copper gasket sealant :D

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I can see how that would help but it seems to me that it would want to warp more after you did that. I guess once its warped a bit though, it'll wanna push all the other ones out of line.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

interesting ideas.

sled dog: im sure that would work inplace of a gasket, but i think my problem is the y-pipe pulling the header down. when i bolt everything up it tweaks it down just enough to lose the seal on top.

trusty&beater k20: never thought of that. i might try a set of manifold gaskets.

ironnut: the gaskets im using have metal woven into it, the gaskets arent blowing out, they just arent sealing.

short sub: interesting idea, i might try that if the manifold gaskets dont work.

torkdsr: another interesting idea, anyone else have an opinion on cutting the flange to relieve tension?

thanks for all the replies fellas, keep em coming :waytogo:

12. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

felpro hightemp's. Going on my third year with them.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did forget to add that once I 'found' the dead soft aluminum collector gaskets I didn't have any more trouble at the collector either.

I don't see the point of messing with RTV's, and 2 layers of header gaskets...or even cutting the header when the manifold gaskets work so well (and don't burn out).

Rene

14. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

started using GM peices and my leeks went away. Cheap and EASY.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Used that trick a few times myself.

16. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the gaskets i use are a 3/16" thick paper gasket, they come individual for $3 each. im on my 3rd set in 1.5 years, first time they lasted a year, second were on for 3 months and pulled the motor. the third set has been on for 3 months. the only place i have found them at is my local parts store/speed shop. alot of the circle track guys here use them all with good luck.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I use manifold gaskets too, they work great!

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Only had one set!

I only had one vehicle with headers,and that was enough for me!--they rot out fast here..I used manifold gaskets from fel-pro,the ones that have perforated steel on both sides..mostly cause I had several left from head sets I never used on previous jobs--one header loved to blow out the gasket at #1 cyl--so I cut the flanges with a hacksaw at the advice of another guy who did the same to his and it cured his keaks--helped mine some too..

I used "Ultra Copper" gasket RTV poop on the gaskets, and had no more leaks--A friend with a 440 Mopar in his camper kept blowing exhaust gaskets at the manifolds--he bought the solid copper ones from Jeg's and they still dont leak 3 years later--only got 1 trip to NH in years past with regular gaskets before it blew them out....I prefer stock iron manfolds--though chevy's can be hard to keep "donuts" in the manifolds too... :crazy:

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I use copper gaskets at the primary tubes and at the collect, never had a prob with leaks

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my last set i put on lasted 2 years, and 3 different sets of headers. they cost like 4.99 for a complete set.