Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad news about my k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 4, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Well I went and got a quote on a paint job. As me and the guy where looking through the truck we keep on finding problems. Basiclly every body panel needs to be replaced. It would cost me about 10,000 to get everything done RIGHT. Then on the way home my tcase started to blow up. So I am going to pull my new engine and every new part I put on the truck and junk the truck. I am going to buy a ford and never look at a chevy again :D J/K. I have found a lot of good looking K5's. in the paper.

I think when I do buy my new truck I will wash every inch of it and sand all the rust off and get any rot fixed and buy a few gal's of rust bullet and do the underside of the body pannels, frame, etc and paint everything. Then I will pull the engine out of that truck and put my baby (built 350) in the truck.
    I hope to have my new truck by the end of this month.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Is maine salty too??

Do they use tons of salt on the roads up in maine like they do in MA??--thats why I cant seem to keep anything more than 5-10 years here!--I have to put new floors and rockers on most of my trucks every 3 years or so--its a losing battle with rot and rust here...very discouraging to own anything decent here,then watch it dissolve in a few years... :mad:

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

salt sucks

Unfortunetly Maine uses a lot of salt too. I have one k5 that is all rusted out and another from the south that is rust free that I am trying to prevent from rusting.

The best thing you can do is wash the under-side on a regular basis in the winter, and then, in the summer, touch up any rust spots that begin to form.

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I am planning on washing everything like 4 times a month during the summer/fall then during the winter and spring I will wash everything every night.
    Thanks
    Adam

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One lister from way back said he lets the ice freeze on the truck for the whole winter. Had found that while frozen it didn't rust. Was only when kept knocking it off and trying to keep it clean that it rusted.
    No personal experience either way. Just thot I'd toss that out there for contemplation.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What you need to do is come out West, and buy a rust free Chevy out here, and then take it back home to where you live. There are tons of twenty year old rust free trucks out here where I live in Nevada and Arizona.