Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad news.. *few more ?s*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Sep 12, 2006.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i got in a wreck yesterday. it was my fault and i feel like a total dumbass. damage to my truck isnt too bad. screwed up the body pretty bad on passenger side and broke the passenger side rear leaf spring. i have to get it all back together pretty quick as its my only mode of transportation. since i have to take the springs out and replace the pass. side one i thought i might upgrade to 56" springs. ive got the ord shackle flip and from what i understand all you have to do is switch the brackets and they should just bolt it. is that correct? does the wheel base stay the same? if i got to 56" springs will i need new longer shackles or have to modify anything else? and lastly what trucks would have the 56" rear springs i need.

WANTED: 52" or 56" rear springs, Houston area

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  2. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

also when the spring broke the axle moved pulled back and pulled the driveshaft out of the tcase and all the atf poured out. how much atf does the 208 take and where is the fill plug?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

56" is only +4" out the back side. wont afect w.b. if installed like stock. 3/4 and 1ton had 56". and the 3/4 was about 50/50 on 52 or 56 . ya just swap sides for the flip. and bolt all of it up and go.

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

just got a set of 56" springs. they are supposed to be 3" wide vs. 52s being 2 1/2" correct? i think they are 7 or 8 leaf springs, so i figure i should take every other leaf out or so. i dont want saggy ass, maybe an inch higher, but if i have to sacrafice ride quality for that extra inch then id rather have the ride quality. what would yall recomend starting with?

5. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

well **** it looks like i bought the wrong springs at the junkyard, after more reading i think the 56s are supposed to be the same width but mine are 3". they are 56" along the arch and the center pin is offset 4" wtf? should i just look for another set?

6. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

The 208 should hold 5 quarts, if empty. I do the finger method to check level. There are 2 large plugs in the back. ne high, by the floor, for filling. Drain plug is low. Both are over an inch in size.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did you pull them ? if not thay might be fords 57"

ford ran 3" wide on 4x4 trucks.

all gm trucks are 2.5 wide.

8. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

no i didnt pull them, they were in a pile. i didnt know all gm springs were 2 1/2" wide. i put a tape measure to em and they were 55-56" along the arch but it was kinda hard to measure em and the center pin was real close to 4" offset so i thought they were the right ones. damnit. i dunno if theyre ford 57s but i dont think so, wonder what they came from

9. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

ended up just getting another 52 out of a blazer. i have a question about the overloads. while the springs are out of the truck i was thinking of flipping the overload to get more flex. how much more flex will i get or will it be very marginal? if i do flip them will the ride change at all? also when the springs are flexed out will they still keep them from arching negative?