Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad news my motor blew ?have some Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Jun 25, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

bad news my motor blew ?have some Q\'s

i just blew my 350 the other day on the freeway i was drivin and i had a loss of power then the motor startin smokin like u wouldnt believe so i pulled over and oil was poorin out the bottom.so know im lookin for a new motor i have a chance to get a 383 or a stock 454 ...what should i do?...i kinda wanna go big block but im not sure if i would be better of goin with 383 becuase of gas but i want alot of torgue so i think i might go with the big low end monster the 454 ....but i would like some help ? what would u guys and gals do ??...thanks for reading

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Re: bad news my motor blew ?have some Q\'s

I have a 350SB in my Blazer and a 396BB in my Chevelle. The small block puts out plenty of torque for Blazer. I think a big block is over kill. You have to pay to feed it, it weighs more, and parts cost more. I personally prefere the small block there. On the other hand that big block is sure fun to open up and it's nice to have that power when you want to show off. What ever you decide good luck.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Hard call, check the HP ratings & torque on the 454 and 383. Some of the 454 where whimpy.
    Big blocks love gas. I when with the crate 350HO 330hp and it's good on gas BUT I love big blocks. If the stock 454 is that much better power wise etc., you can afford the gas (maybe not a daily driver) and are willing to spend the extra on the chage over, I'd go big block. I might still some day. I just want to do the other stuff 1st to handle it (axles etc.)

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Go with a small block. more affordable to do upgrades and more parts avilable for small block Chevys than any other motor in the world. I have some small block parts if you need sumthin also. Big blocks are expensive and less available parts out there and what is available for BB are unbelievably expensive! All the power a K5 needs can be had out of a 350,383,400,or 406 small block..neilheis@yahoo.com

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go with the 383 they put out lots of torque and are cheeper than a 454 but a 454 is damn impresive

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

6. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

does anybody know a good site on motors and such becuase i might go with the 454 and put a comp extreme 4x4 cam in it and headers and edelbrock intake an carb sounds good but i still wanna look up all the other things i could do with the 350...thanks for the help

7. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

You thought of something like this?[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/454_xtreme_4x4.html>http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/454_xtreme_4x4.html</A>

/Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]