Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad off-idle bog - edelbrock performer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jan 12, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a #1406 edlebrock performer (works well on and offroad despite the general consensus.) It is stock except for an off-road spring-loaded float kit.
    My engine is a mild 350 that I recently got running on 8 cyclinders again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I have a bog off-idle. If I press the gas down slowly, like I would be when taking off from a stop light, then it tries to die, waits a few sconds, then finally 'catches up' and roars back to life.
    If I step down fast on the gas (so the accelerator pump does its job) it still has a bog, but it's not as long. I have the accelerator pump pushrod in the lowest hole.

I don't THINK i have a vacuum leak anywhere. Ignition is good. Exhaust is 2.5" duals from ramhorns manifolds. Generic dual plane intake.
    What do you guys think my problem is? These carbs are pretty easy to change jets/rods in, but I don't know that that is my problem. Yes, I have the manual that comes with the carb and is downloadable in pdf from edelbrock.com
    I need to figure out something.
    -- Mike

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

screw the idle screws all the way in until they seat, but dont go n e farther or u will ruin the needlepoint. then, back off 2 complete turns. make sure u do 2COMPLETE turns. then start it and see how it is. if it still does it, u need to step up to the next higher spring. this is of course saying that all ur lines are ok etc. let me know how it worx

NITRO

3. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

Put the pump rod in the top hole and see what it does.Sounds like it's not getting a enough fuel delivery for a smooth transition from idle to part throttle.I think the 1406 came with the rod in the middle hole,could be wrong though.Try it and let us know.GOD Bless,jtpepper

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

there are three holes up in there? What are the side effects of having it in the upper lower or middle holes....with a regular fuel pump and a stock q-jet on a performer RPM where should mine be...I think mine is in the upper if any...I couldn't see in there just stabbed it in...

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have/had the same problem. I have been able rid myself of most of the bog by changing my timing some (no timing bracket/needle)... but I would be VERY interested to know if its something else... I think I am timed about perfect now and I still get a rough bog with slow acceleration.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I believe the Q-Jet only has one hole. The Edelbrock performers have 3.

I also have the same problem with the bog. I have tried adjusting the idle screws (dont get much response) and it still does it. I tried all the holes in the acc. pump arm, didnt help much. It does get a little better with more timing advance, but it is too much advance for my engine. Plus I think it is just recovering from the bog quicker and just covering it up.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if none of those things have changed, then u needa step up to the next stronger spring. its like a 5 minute job.

NITRO