Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Oil Guage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinRojo, Jun 23, 2003.

1. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Alright, my '83 oil guage went bad. Reads a constant 15 psi when the engine is running, even when removed from panel and wired directly to oil sender and battery (in case of wiring problem). The only problem is, GM discontinued the guage last year. Any ideas as to where I can get one? Could I find a shop that could repair it? Anyone have a spare guage lying around?

2. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

I have an 82 diesel, and just ordered a whole gauge cluster and gauge bezel off ebay for under $60. check there, im sure you could find somehthing. Or if you have to, you could get an aftermarket gauge.

3. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

I just replaced the motor in my 88 and broke my oil sensor when I tried to pull it off the old motor. It was recommended to me by the engine shop I got the motor from to put in a mechanical gauge (I bought one from Carquest for $20.00) as they are more accurate and eliminates another electrical connection.

4. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

yeah...but I'm trying to maintain the stock appearance....if push comes to shove though, I'll put a mechanical one in the cluster

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

don't need to get into electrical vs. mechanical debate, but recent testing is showing that electric gages are every bit as accurate as mechanical.

Besides, you are just trading a wire that carries electricity for a tube that carries oil. I think I'd rather fix a wire.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    don't need to get into electrical vs. mechanical debate, but recent testing is showing that electric gages are every bit as accurate as mechanical.

Besides, you are just trading a wire that carries electricity for a tube that carries oil. I think I'd rather fix a wire.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am with you on this one.
    I hated the mechanical ones for that, they brake a line and you can't fix them.