Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad oil leak. Need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Alright here it gos. I haved replaced my front main seal and oil pan gasket, timeing cover gasket, and fuel pump gasket. I did a good job on all of them, but my blazer still leaks about a quart per 20 mies of oil from the bottem front of the engine. (front main seal area) I concluded that the only thing left is that the front seal is not sealing to the balancer properly. Could the truck leak oil if the harmonic balancer wobbles? I think it is stretching the seal out and that might be what is causing the leak. What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions as to what it could be? thanks.

Sparky

78 K-5

2. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

Sure sounds like the seal in the timing chain cover, you didn't say that you replaced it. Could it be damaged? At idle, is the balancer wobbling? You really need to determine where the leak is exactly, bc it sounds substantial. Hope I've been some help.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A wobling ballancer would fry a seal in a hurry. It would also lay waste to the water pump, alternator, power steering pump and a/c compressor not to mention trashing the main bearings and crank b. It has to run smooth for the sake of the rest of the engine and accessories. There is a tool for installing the ballancer and if you don't use it you run the risk of damaging it as well as the crank. The ballancer may also have a groove worn in it where the seal runs. If so you might be able to find a sleave and have it pressed on but probably need to replace tha ballancer. If the rubber ring has cracks then it would be best to replace.
    Now there is an art to getting things to seal at the timming cover and oil pan. RTV and must be very clean. I always wipe down any surfaces with brake cleaner to get a good bond. A good dab of RTV where the rubber seal meets the covers in the cornes and along the whole seal as well as at the botom of the block when you install the timming cover. Also make sure the timming cover is straight. If there is a warp where the seal goes it would not sit straight to the ballancer seal area and it would get burned up in short order. RTV around the outside of that seal when you install it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Trust me, I understand there is an art to the oil pan gasket. However, I am an expert at this art. The oil pan is on there as good as it possibly could get. I did replace the timeing chain gasket as well. The ballancer is not that bad. I just noticed it when I put it back together after replacing the seal. You cant even tell it wobbles from above the engine. You have to be under the truck to get a good enough angle to see the wobble. I am going to replace the ballancer asap. I was just looking for someone to confirm my beleifs of the ballancer being at fault, and that is exactly what I got. This would also explain why it leaks much faster at higher RPM. Thanks!

Sparky

78 K-5