Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad oil leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89sub, Dec 8, 2000.

1. 89sub

89sub Newbie

I have a bad oil leak (2 quarts/300 miles). It appears to be around the the rear of the engine. The plugs were not fouled up, so I think it is external. Is there any area to look in that it might be. I'm hoping it's not the rear main seal. I already changed the filter, and am looking at the oil pan gasket tonight. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check the base of your oil sending unit.........

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Definitely check the gaskets around the rear of the valve covers and intake. With that much loss, sounding pretty bad ... rear main.

Sorry and good luck!

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I'm like an oil leak expert, having spilled more oil from my motors than the exxon valdez spilled in Alaska. All above advice is good. Check the oil sending unit in the back by the distributor Check the valve covers, the intake could do it. the rubber seal that runs across the back of the engine from head to head under the intake. The distributor has a round gasket in between it and the engine. It could be the rear main seal. I did one in my 6.2 in the Jimmy...........patience is definately a virtue needed for that one.......the oil pan is another place...the dipstick tube area where it goes in the block also....the place where the mechanical fuel pump bolts. They do sell stuff that you add to the oil that turns the oil orange, then you can tell where the leak is coming from. Pepboys has will add it and find the leak for 40 dollars by me....I do not know what the orange stuff is called. Also if you add oil stopleak be forewarned that the stuff swells the seals all over the motor, then as time goes on the seals go back to the original size.. I have heard of some problems adding such stuff because it forces the seals out in other places.......good luck!.....leaking seals are a pain in the Axx.......js

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Start by getting some light in behind the top of the engine, to see if there's any fresh oil there. If so, start looking at the gaskets in that area (valve cover, intake, distributor).

If there's no oil up top, then go underneath and start looking. If it's been leaking long, you may need to clean everything really well at a car wash and then start looking for fresh signs of leakage. You can remove the inspection cover between the engine and tranny and peek up in there to see if the rear main seal is leaking.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com