Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad power steering pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chaddy, May 11, 2006.

1. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My steering pump was leaking really bad out of the pully so I replaced it with a new pump and now it will only turn at high RPM's....I have no assist at idle. Do you think I didnt bleed it good enough or did I buy a bad pump?

thanx...Chad

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could be belt tension.

Bleeding, or lack thereof, would be noticed by the whining noise indicated air in the system.

-- A

3. Chaddy

it really doesnt whine though

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be hosed..

Have you put new P/S hoses on?...if not,old hoses can sometimes collapse internally and block fluid flow,reducing pressure to the steering box..it could be the valve in the pump where the pressure hose screws in (bung) that is clogged with dirt ,etc..some pumps have a fine mesh screen in that valve that clogs easily..the spring and plunger there also controls the output pressure,if broken or weak it will reduce output pressure,and reduce power assist as well...same thing if the plunger sticks..

It could be a defective pump,..(especially if its a cheapie rebuilt "hencho en mexico" one)..but usually they whine like sirens when the vanes are damaged or incorrectly installed..power steering box itself could be faulty as well...a pressure gauge plumbed into the pressure hose is one sure way to tell if the pump is putting out..--

--a crude "trail" test is to crimp the pressure hose shut momentarily with the engine running at idle,using channel lock pliers and a peice of heater hose over the P/S hose, to prevent damage to the hose..a pump with adequate pressure will stop turning,and the belt will smoke and skid over the pulley--a pump with poor pressure will moan and groan,but the pulley will keep turning..dont do this for more than a few seconds,it could hurt the pump or pop old brittle hoses!..:crazy:

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Huh. I done learned somethin right there.

6. Chaddy

Thanx for the replies! The steering pump was from GM and it they sold me a bad pump:( .....I put the new new one in and presto..works just like it should. Now if I could only get them to pay for my extra labor.