Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad rear output splines? NP 241 C Question(s)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jun 17, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

How can you tell if your rear splines are bad?
    I keep getting a drivetrain vibration and there is play there when you grab the rear shaft and move it up and down. I replaced the tailshaft housing bushing that the Shaft slips through a month or so ago and thought I solved the problem, now I'm back to ssquare 1. Will an out of ballance driveshaft warp the new bushing or will bad splines with excessive play?

I thought of getting a whole new tailshaft housing (from Dealer is ($120.00) but don't want to p!ss my money away if I don't have to. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Please let me know what might be the best thing to do.

Thanks,

Jeremy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd have the driveshaft checked for straightness/balance before I'd replace the tailshaft housing. A out of balance shaft will wear out the slip yoke bushing. Labor for just balancing is under $50 for a 1 piece shaft, IIRC. I've had many shafts balanced at the local dana/spicer shop. Something as simple as changing u-joints can throw a shaft out of balance if your not careful.