Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad shock? UPDATE***PROBLEM FOUND**NEED HELP FINDING PARTS**PICS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NEK5, Feb 23, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sometimes when i hit a good bump i can hear a clunking noise coming from the f/r of truck....could this be a worn shock???? when i looked at the shocks on that side there was some oil on one of them (shown in pic..some is washed off because i was washing down the truck with a hose) how can i check if thats the problem and if that isnt what could it be?

060223021204.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check the mounting points first.I had been hearing a noise for a while and it got worse. I pulled the splash guard back, to see the nut gone and the bolt sticking out. If you remove the shock and try to compress it, and it is easy, it is bad.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with checking the mounting points. Exact some symptoms, problem was the nut on the bolt had loosened up and the shock moved on bumps.

Also on mine (Quad shock setup), the long lower bolt bent, but that doesn't make any noise.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Grab the shock and see if you can move it. Worn bushings at either end can do this too.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

CHeck your spring bushings too...

6. NEK5

problem solved....i never thought to check the battery.. i had the same problem before and i thought i fixed it

7. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

They will compress easily but it should be hard to extend them. Not much compression damping compared to rebound.

8. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Or in my last situation compress and leave over night if still compressed in the morning they are probably not good.:doah: :eek1:

9. NEK5

another old thread revived....ok so i`m getting that clunk a lil bit now every so often. after the first pic i took with it covered in oil i washed it off and today i got to look at it and it was covered again..and i lifted the boot and there was oil...so i`m gonna go out on a limb and say that its leaking...so can that be the problem..

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It could be where the noise is coming from. Your shock has lost a lot of oil so go ahead and replace it and see if your noise is gone. You might consider ditching the duals and running a good monotube shock. Much better performance than what you have on there.

11. NEK5

what would you suggest for shocks? skyjacker?

12. koldsimer

I'm about to order up some Mx6 adjustable monotubes for the rear and some bilstein 5100's for the front.

13. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

I'd second the Bilsteins. They'll last longer than the truck.

14. NEK5

how are sky jackers???...would they be good for the front???wats the difference between nitro and hydraulic?

15. NEK5

ok i ordered a pair of skyjackers that are used for the single setup so i have a couple questions.....what mounting position do i use?? and has anyone used these shocks?

16. NEK5

sux not havin a second helper!

well i started to do the shocks this morning and boy was it a PITA....all i got to do was take off the bottom bolt on both sides...and the pass. side one was a b***h....and couldnt get to do the other ones because my buddy had to leave for work......i hate not having someone around to help out all the time....oh well looks like i`ll have to wait till tomorrow because the only other time today i`ll get help is while i`m workin:mad: ....guess i cant driver her to work today:mad:

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It's just 2 bolts. What's the problem? That is a one person job anyway.

18. NEK5

well there is the two bolts on the bottom of both sides, and i need someone to hold a wrench or another rachet on the bolt where they mount to frame, keep in mind i have the duals up front...i could probly manage it mysef but would rather help from a second person because i`m kinda short tempered today for some reason:D

19. NEK5

ok this morning i went out to finish taking out the old shocks and puttin the new ones in....so i get two that are closer to the front out and start the back.....i drenched them in WD40 and came to the conclusion that there was now way in hell i was gettin them out, i give my buddy and his dad a call, who were at a car show in CT i think( that i had to f*****g miss because i had to work:mad: ) and let them know i couldnt get it done and see if they could take a run by my house and finish it.....so i`m at work at about 4:30 and i`m out my stepdads truck eatin mcds because i was on my lunch break and he told me the shocks werent my problem, apparently the shackle on that side was completely off the frame:eek1: ,and i`ve been driving it like that for a few days:eek1: ...so i gotta wait till tomorrow to get a couple hardned bolts....gotta love havin a good friend!

20. koldsimer

Your shackle was completely off the frame? That's weird. Can you give a better explanation? Maybe a pic?