Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Throught bearing (please help)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Melvin, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Melvin

Melvin Registered Member

I've got a 1980 blazer, It was an auto but somebody converted it to 4 speed. I replaced the clutch and everything about a year ago, and the throught bearing was in two peices. Now (a year later) my bearing is chattering and squilling, I asuming it's shot.:mad: What would cause this? I was wondering if whoever converted it to 4 speed didn't do it right or is it something else? I'm about to through an auto in it, don't want to. Also was wondering if anyone has pics of half doors?

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

half doors - check out the vendors section on the site - lots of stuff up. also, the search feature will yield lots of half door pics.

throw out bearing - i don't think it would have anything to do with the transmission. i suppose there could be an issue with the fork, but doubtful. i'd be leary of the clutch/pressure plate fingers being outta whack, but i don't know much about how throw out bearings wear.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Clutch could be misadjusted or it could just be poor habits. If you tend to ride the clutch it'll eat throw-out bearings pretty quick, or if the clutch pedal doesn't have enough free play the throw-out bearing will be riding against the clutch fingers all the time...again leading to an early death.

Rene

4. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've also seen cheap no-name bearings go out in no time too.

5. Melvin

Melvin Registered Member

Well as far as I know myclutch had quite a bit of play in it and beins I grew up on a farm I never rested my foot on the pedal (cause mydaalways yeldatme if i did) , I even try not to use the clutch when shifting. Thanks for your help guys I'm ganna look into it next weekend.