Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad timing..HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by goblazeinco, Dec 18, 2001.

1. goblazeinco

goblazeinco Registered Member

I jumped time on my '86 K5 350. With new chain and sprockets lined up and at TDC on #1, the distributor rotor is about a quarter turn from #1 wire location. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't it be right on the #1 location. Would that be caused by the dist. gears. The dist. moves up and down a little but not much and when I rotate the crank it spins just fine. I was trying to avoid pulling it if I didn't have too. I am guessing that is what it is but would like some knowledgable responses before I dig deeper.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

'86 K5, 14bolt FF & D44, 6" Skyjacker, 35" BFG Muds, 350, 700R4

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

It sounds like to me you need to rotate your oil pump shaft so you can get your distributor in with #1 at top dead center. Take a flashlight and look at the top of the oil pump shaft thru the distributor hole in the intake. Get a long straight slot and turn the oil pump shaft. Try to drop the distributor in and have it line up with #1 on the distributor cap. Rember the gears on the distributor and the cam will move the rotor when you drop it in. Make sure the distributor is all the way in, No gap between the intake and bottom of the distributor