Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71_Tman, Jul 16, 2000.

1. 71_Tman

71_Tman Registered Member

Today I went wheeling with my club in my new/used 71 Blazer. Unfortunatly on the first rocky grade the Blazer could not make it up the hill! The engine was making plenty of power but is was not getting down to the wheels. I was able to reverse out to the trail head. Was my tranny slipping? I have never had an auto tranny before. on the ride back home on the highway I could'nt go faster than 40 while going up hills.

If this sounds like a tranny prob. Does anybody know of a good trusworthy shop in the Denver Area.

Thanks!

2. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Did your engine sound like the engine RPM's were going a lot faster than you ?? Did you check your fluid level?? When you start from a stop does it take a while to start picking up momentum??

3. 71_Tman

71_Tman Registered Member

The fluid level was good. I checked it back on level ground at the trail head.
    It doeas seem to take a while to accelerate out of a light.

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

That sounds to me like you have a screwed up torque converter.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Yah, it could be the torque converter or the clutches in the tranny are toast. I'd replace the torque converter first, cause if ya gotta rebuild it, ya replace em anyway. Then if the new torque converter doesnt do it, then have it rebuilt with upgraded clutches.