Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Tranny

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by LAZYMON, May 14, 2003.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A friend of mine has a 93 Suburban 1500 Auto. It is leaking bad so he took it to the tranny shop where they said it is leaking out of the main shaft bushing, metal in pan. They want up to $2600 to fix this! Is that insane or is that about right. The other option I suppose is to find a good used one and put it in. Where would be a good source for a reliable used or rebuilt on. The tranny guy says it would have to be from a 93. Thanks.

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

you can find one from summit, pace performance or another good gm site. they're run $1700ish. i'd go forthat - usually, a trany rebuild runs around $1400

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Being a '93, your friends tranny is probably a 4L60E, the electronic version of the 4L60 or 700R4, '93 was the first year they were used, any used trannies would have to be from a '93 or newer vehicle.

4. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your right it is the electronic version of the tranny and that is why the guy says it will cost so much to repair.Having to replace a lot of the electronics that metal may have gotten into. He may have to pay the man his price. Any other thoughts would be helpful.

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

find a fresh 93 at the junkyard and snoop around it make sure its in good shape drop it down pay some money for put it in. Make sure you mention its for a beat up farm truck or something so the price will go down. Or look at summit like already said or a another tranny shop. I got a buddie that is a tranny guru so i get stuff done cheap real cheap plus i do most the work myself. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

man, you're getting hosed at $2800 regardless of it being a 4L60 or 4L60E - go find another place to rebuild it or buy a new one. either option is a grand less /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif