Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad U joint ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Sep 24, 2003.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Could a u joint be bad and show no signs of being bad? Here is the situation, it is on a 1 ton Highangle shaft. I put the truck together, it drove fine with no vibes all the way to 80mph. I put almost 1000 miles on it before it's first wheeling trip. Wheeled it on a Saturday on milder trails but only in 2wd because of steering issues. There were quite a few times I should have used all 4 wheels but used the stupid pedal instead to get through. Well we left that Sat. and I noticed a bad vibe and chacked it out back at camp and found my t case mount was loose. I tightened it up and it seemed ok on Sunday morning when we hit the interstate to head to the 2nd day of wheeling. Well the more we drove the worse the vibe got so I parked it for Sunday and hitched rides for the day. Drove home vibrating pretty bad around 55mph on up. Now fast forward a few weeks to now and I finally start working on it. I pulled the rear shaft and took it for a drive on the front axle and it seemed ok up to 55mph and no really bad vibes, only problem is the Powerlock in the front is a bitch to steer without hydro assist. (Got the WTO stuff, just need to install) So I pull back in the driveway lock the e brake and do a nice smokey burn out on the front axle. Everything seems fine there. I look over the rear shaft really good and it all seems fine and there is no slop in the rear pinion. Could the u joint be shot and show no real sing of being bad?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Maybe the CV itself is bad and not the actual u-joint's. Did you check out the slip in the shaft to see if there is any play? Have you greased the shaft since you have owned it?

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Checked everything, greased it when I put it in. The CV seems the same as the day I installed it.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I was getting a really wierd subtle tinny sound coming from the back of the 84, but everything checked out ok visually, there was no play in either of the u-joints. It got worse so I decided to pull the rear u-joint and it ended up having one badly dried-out set of needle bearings. I replaced the u-joint and of course the sound went away.

So, to make a long story short, yes, u-joints can be bad without showing any of the common warning signs.