Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad u joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxK5Blazer, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I don't have much time and will check this when I get home I am out of town right now but would bad u joints make the drive shaft vibe. they are faily new less than a year old but have been wheeled semi hard. need some opinions?..........Jason

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

yes they can. I've had it happen more than once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just a thought,but if you are out of town and driving your truck...I'd check 'em out now...if you drive your truck at highway speed, the bearings can potentially eat themselves in a fairly short distance...I once felt a bad Ujoint on the way to work...figured I'd drive home (13 miles) going slow and easy...only Had to hit the freeway for about 3-4 miles...I'd pussyfoot and get 'er home to fix it...all went well until I eased off the gas to make my exit, and the rear shaft disassembled itself at the TC end...lucky it was a 203 so I was able to pull the shaft (on the shoulder of a Dallas freeway) and make it home...my 20 minute $15 U joint cost me $200 for a new shaft...never mind that when it let go I like to have sh!t down both legs.....coulda been worse... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

from what i understand the u joints will make some noises first, then it will vibrate upon driving, then the u joints go kabloowie.
    i just changed my rear u-joints, i was hearing a squeaking noise. i pulled out the u joints and pulled the cap of of one of the crossmembers. there were no needle bearings in the cap at all and the cross member was ovalized. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

sorry to confuse you guys the truck is at home I am in a company truck here at school so I will check mine when I get home on sat. may just replace the u joints anyway...Thanks guys