Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad vibe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guz71, Jan 8, 2007.

1. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

This may be a dumb question, but i am kind of in a pickle. I just finished swapping in my d60 and 14ff along with a shackle flip and switch and other doo dads( about 7.5" lift on 38's). After about 45-50mph i get vibes out of the driveshaft because i have not shimmed the rear axle yet. Im suppose to leave tommorow for school so im not sure what to do. The trip is about 500 miles and i can handle the vibes but i do not know if this is bad for the drivrtrain? any input would be great. I just want to get the truck up there and fix it once i arrive if possible.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Just stay out of the "vibe zone" and you should be fine. How far out is the angle?

Don't go offroad or anything to stress the driveline as well. Can you tell how much of your slip joint is left? Would be awful embarassing to roll out of or in a gas station driveway and drop your driveshaft:doah::(:o

3. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

Lol theres no way i can drive 500 miles slower than 50 mph. I had new driveshafts made and there is plenty of slip of left. Looks like im going to be flying about this weekend.

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm going to assume you have the correct rear U-joint installed? If not you will get a vibe from the wrong size U-joint slipping around within the yoke.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I bit the bullet and run a CV shaft . Only way short of finding the right angles and shimming or rotating the housing .

Shimming I disliked because I didn't want anything not bolted to the pack , and didn't want to have to buy and return a set or two of angled zero rates if I miscalculated .

Rotating the housing I didn't want to do because of the work involved on a DD I needed at the time .

CV shaft was a drop in the bucket considering how much I actually drive and wheel my rig . And not that expensive overall when you look at what you end up putting into your rig lifting it , and buying huge tires and such .

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

I'd say it would be best to get rid of those vibs on a longer drive like you have planned - If you have to drive it- then carry an extra u joint- and check all the bolts quite often even the trans to motor bell bolts- Jess