Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Vibes

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BUCK70, Apr 11, 2001.

1. BUCK70

BUCK70 Registered Member

Anyone out there had a problem with a vibration out of the right rear only at certain speeds? My 70 between 42 and 49 mph shakes, rattles and rolls! Any ideas?? I have already checked the wheel balance and it was ok.

Thanks,
    BUCK

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Didja check all your lugnuts to make sure your wheel is tight?

I know that other vehicles with disc brakes are more susceptible to vibrations from overtightening of lugnuts, or tightening the nuts "out-of-sequence"....the rotor gets distorted and can cause vibrations. This may not apply to Blazers, since the discs are probably monstrously thick and wouldn't warp that way. (Plus you may not have rear discs anyway) [​IMG]

Also carefully check the inner sidewall for any signs of a bubble or delamination of the tread....

What about low tire pressure, or maybe a leaking shock absorber on that corner of the vehicle?

Hope these ideas were helpful....

-Greg72

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

In what direction is the vibration? If it's side to side, it's not the wheel (driveshaft or U-joint would be the likely culprit). If it's forward and backward, it could be the wheel or the flange. Have you checked the axle flange for run-out? A bent axle flange or wheel will cause a vibration...

4. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Couple of other ideas…

You can rotate the wheel to eliminate the possibility of an out-of-balance or bent rim condition.

Are you sure that it’s coming from the right rear and not the driveline? Vibrations have a way of throwing their voices. It’s just a thought but you might want to check that your u-joints are in phase, that you haven’t lost any weights off the drive shaft and that the slip-joint and splines aren’t excessively worn.

Stock 12-bolt? Check your axle bearing… not a good thing if it is failing.

5. BUCK70

BUCK70 Registered Member

Thanks to all who gave advice i will try tackling these areas this week-end.