Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Vibes!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86jimbo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

Im Having Bad Vibration Probs With My K5 (6 Inch, 14bff, 60, 700r4, 208). Its Fine When Your In The Gas And Out Of The Gas, But When You Barely Give It Gas Or Barely Let Off, I Get A Bad Grinding Noise With Vibration. I Lengthened The Drive Shaft And I Have New Joints. When It Happens, It Sounds Like Its Coming From The Tranny Or Tc. Any Ideas?

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Sounds like out-of-balance situation with the rear driveshaft. Thats exactly how mine sounded before I installed a rear CV driveshaft.

3. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I just had a bad vibe problem with mine,I balanced and lengthened the d shaft,put in new spicer u joints,and it ended up being that my gov lok in the rear end was cracked,might wanna checkit out.

4. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

i had it lengthened and i have new spicer joints in it. the 14bff is brand new, as in new internals, and plus, i had the same prob when i was running my 1/2 ton with open diff. any other ideas?

5. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I just posted on a post about grinding noises with the TC a few weeks ago.

I had the same problem you are describing except it got to be horriblt when you slammed on the brakes. I thought it was the rear slipe yoke was to far in the case, so I moved the axle back with a zero rate.......no luck.

Then I changed rear u-joint hoping that would help because I notice it ws going bad.......no luck.

I checked the calipers and wheelbearing to make sure everything was fine. I kept coming to the conclusion that it ws coming from the tranny or t-case. I went around the block and held on the the TC shifter and braked hard, and I could feel the rotational grinding in the shifter.

I also changed the tranny mounts....nope.

Anyways it ending up being the top of my NP 208 right where the linkage is, was hitting the body. I lowered the TC like I had it a few months ago, and problem went away.

I hope it is such an easy fix for you too. was pulling out my hair trying tolocate the problem though.

Jesse

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Even though you lengthened the drive shaft, are the angles equal at the TC and the yoke for the differential? Using a standard driveshaft would require this so that the u-joints would be in-phase. More than a couple of degrees difference makes a big change in loading/vibrations.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had the same problems, with the same drivetrain. Didn't go away until I put in a 205 (slip yokes are the devil), a HAD shaft and rotated my ff14bs pinion up a tad. Much better now. :)

j

8. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

Its called gear rattle and happends to allot of lifted trucks- it sounds like a bad bearing inside your case its caused from angles that are not right- run a c/v and roll your pinion up i guarenty it will go away- JEss