Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad vibes.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by idaho90k5, Feb 26, 2004.

1. idaho90k5

idaho90k5 Registered Member

Yesterday I had my 1990 K5 lifted 3". Leafs in the front and blocks in the rear. Now when I let off the gas I sometimes get a vibration. it sounds like it is driveline related. Anyone ever have this prob?

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah could be some rigs get vibration and others don't /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Probably just need the driveshaft angles checked and maybe but in or remove a shim. Where in Idaho are you /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif fill out your profile /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard of any 3" kits????
    Anyway.....
    First off... make sure your rear u-bolts are tight
    If those are good /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif what I think may be happening in your case is a common characteristic when lift blocks are used with worn factory springs. What I think is happening is that when you let off the gas, thereby unloading the pinion, you experience mild axle wrap as the pinion pitches downward, and put your pinion yoke u-joint at a sharper angle than the T-case yoke u-joint. This difference in u-joint angle disturbs the counterbalance that cancels out the vibrations when the angles are the same.... (you can see where I'm going w/ this)...which leads to vibration. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. idaho90k5

Tommy, that makes all kind of scence. I'm going to change out the rear leafs.
    The 3" kit is sold by Tuff Country out of Draper Ut. It gets it up to the point where 33"s work real well, but you don't have to mess with the pitman arm.
    Thanks for your help.

5. idaho90k5

Profile complete /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Profile complete /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Many people are able to cure this just by lowering the Transfer case. There is a little loss in ground clearance, but it is only about 30 minutes to try it out. Best bet is to get an angle finder and get real answers in a couple minutes. Could also be worn U-joints. It is very common to get vibes after a lift.

8. 1989k5

1989k5 Registered Member

I agree. I had the same problem when I lifted my 89 3 inches. I tried all sorts of things to cure it before I simply shimmed down the angle of the transfercase, which cured the problem. Another thing is shimming your differential angle up. Most stores that sell springs have aluminum shims of various thickness, fairly easy to install, but I would try the T-case first. Remember to think simple, unlike me who had a custom driveshaft cut among other things before I found the answer. Good Luck! By the way, you would know the names Hyde or Clakacraft if you are from Idaho Falls and Flyfish. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Owning a K5 is more than mere truck ownership, its a place to spend all your free time and extra cash as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif