Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bad Vibration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Anybody got any ideas on what might be causing my Jimmy to vibrate like a paint shaker at highway speeds (55 - 70). You can see the vibration in the steering wheel, but I think I can feel it through the rear floorboard too. I have replaced all of my rod ends, all of my u-joints, had the wheels inspected and balanced, but none of this has eliminated the vibration. The tires I am running on the street are 33X12.50x15 BFG AT's which is not a gnarly tread pattern at all, so I don't think it is the tires. I have considered that it might be either the wheel bearings (no noticable noise) or the driveshaft(s) (no noticable dents or damage and the weights are still there). There is no play in the tire/wheel when I lift the tires off the ground either, so I don't think it is the ball joints. But then again, it could be any one of these things, a combination of the three or none of them at all, I am just not sure. Anybody with some insight on what might be my problem?

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

is your yoke in decent shape? Good u-straps? This can not hold teh u-joitn firm. trying gettign under the truck and movign the u-joints back and forth up and down side to side wahtever...if there is any play whatsoever this can vibrate

Next inspect front wheel bearings and calipers that they are nt sticking...bet its a u-joint though....GOOD LUCK!

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmmm, Motor/t-case mounts maybe? Ball joints worn exxcessively? You've checked the bolts on the steering box? Checked the drag link ends, tighened all bolts ect ect? Let us know what ya find.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Check the yoke to the TC and axles. If the big nut that holds them on are a litle loose then that will cause it too. Also make sure your drive shafts are phased right too.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Loose nut behind the wheel? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

My Blazer vibrates at all speeds because the transfer case output shaft is bent.

7. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

mine vibrated alot too, then i dropped the driveshaft bc the u joints blew..fix those b4 they go out..trust me.