Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bad wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balazerjake86, Oct 30, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

my 86 4x4 has a bad wiring problem. whenever i turn on the headlights the fuel gauge goes dead and the right turn signal indicator comes on. would it be easy to re-wire it or just to take it all apart and look for a bad ground. also the temp gauge does not work or the ampmeter

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your dash cluster has some bad wires. I noticed some of mine had burned the traces out. I simply re-soldered in some wire. All is well now.

Also check your light sockets, and the dash cluster connector. I found my connectors were VERY dirty - go figure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have a missing ground under the dash.
    That is exactly what happened with me when I put it back together after a frame off restoration. It took me a couple of weeks to figure it out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    It should be eiher a broken wire, not connected wire or just a bad contact area. If you don't find anything loose, try and take off the ground near the ebrake pedal and clean the surface and tighten it back.

4. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

thanks all i bought it from a guy that had a radio installed by an idiot and he said it started after that. also i noticed that when i hooked up my radio i could not find a memory wire i used a wiring harness from auto zone and it came with one big connector that held three seperate plugs from the truck but then they also gave me a male plug in with two wires and i did not see any where for it to plug into. any ideas or was it just an extra part for a differnt chevy