Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Badlands trip ****PICS****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Oct 9, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well, we returned from the Badlands today. Here is the gouge.
    Day 1.
    We arrived at Summers campground around 8AM to set up camp.
    Arrived at the Badlands around 9:30 to start the wheeling.
    The first trial we went on was very tight and hard to navigate without body damage for all but the jeep in the group. Not sure exactly how to explain where it was but the end had a medium size/slope hill that caused the Jeep to smoke his clutch pretty badly. Almost thought that out wheeling had ended right there but after letting it cool down and adjusting it we continued on to the dunes. That was pretty cool climbing all the hills. The sand is ver different than what i saw at Glamis. Then we got lost and I suffered a little body damage trying to get out.:laugh: Then to finish off the day we ran the Green trial. I had no idea that there were so many hills there, but it was a blast. Lots of beer to follow at Summers
    Day 2.
    Headed back to the badlands first thing in the morning and met up with Mark (BigBird4WD). He unloaded his K5 from the trailer and showed us around the park from the Dunes, across a few killer trails then into the quarry. He spotted me up a ledge near the pond that i thought i would never get up. Little did i know how easy it would be. (never tried rocks before) Detriots and a longbed made it relativle simple. Also got a dents in the bed below the gas fill cover and below the door on the rocker on that one:laugh: After that we went on a trail called Purgatory....Was a little worried after reading that name. The trail was sweet again though. We all had fun. After tooling aroung the trails for a while we headed over to the Pink trail.....That is where it all went down hill:haha: :haha:

As soon as i entered the Pink trail i was off center and ended up dropping the front of the truck at least 3 feet down into the ruts. Shook me up pretty good but i did laugh my A$$ off after i realised what happened. Then i went about another 20 feet and heard a loud WOOOOOSSSSHHHHH sound. I figured one of the BFG blew a bead. no big deal.........until i saw the 6 inch long gash in the sidewall..What the hell caused it i will never know. So we tossed the spare HMMWV tire on there and continued on into the trail. Made it about another 100feet before Kevin blew a u-joint whick caused his steering to lock up on him. So we broke out the air tools and started banging and cutting until the stub came out. We duct-taped the short side shaft in the housing and came out of the trail on a bypass. That about ended our day other that another quick run through the woods to wathc the fun at the quarry. Saw a few cool buggies. Then we said our goodbyes to Mark and headed back to camp.

Pics to follow

Thanks again Mark. Without you there to show us around we would have never had that much fun. You rock:bow: :bow: :bow:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Still too big....working on it

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

BFG Sidewall Damage
    [​IMG]

Flat Tire, Mark helping
    [​IMG]

Broken Stub Shaft
    [​IMG]

Kevin using my homemade PowerTank setup to cut the ears off of the stubshaft so they would fit through the knuckle
    [​IMG]

Me climbing up a rock wall. It went higher than i thought it would:eek1:
    [​IMG]

Bent sheetmetal from a rogue tree:haha:
    [​IMG]

Mark's K5 chillin while we finish up the trail repairs on Kevin's truck
    [​IMG]

WTF....try to explain that one
    [​IMG]

Summer's Campground
    [​IMG]

Wish that more of you were able to make it out for the fun. There are a few more picson my website with more coming when i get the time

4. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Looks like fun, Maybe one of these days my truck will be ready to go there. I still need to take the quad down there too, to much time and not enough money.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those are some really good shots. Very interesting!!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

6. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys it was one of the best trips to the badlands I've ever been on. We covered alot of ground for having 5 trucks. You saw most of the Badlands except for the orange trail. Just imagine the pink trial but tighter.

The trucks rocked and the tire and ujoint episodes were kinda weird with how they happened.

The blazer did well. Unloaded Sunday and powerwashed it and backed it into the barn until the next time.

I hope it was worth your time to come down and wheel.

I bet Kevin blew that joint on that hill that the jeep had to pull him up on. He was getting it pretty good, it just came out of the ears when he had to turn sharp on the pink trial, IMO.

The Air Tank is awsome, I have stuff for OBA but that tank rocked. Good thing for the grinder too.

I stayed until after 5 and helped pull that red chevy with the broken ball joints up and out of that sand bowl then loaded up and got home at 6:30 for a hallowween party. I was way worn out though.........-Mark

7. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I didn't see you guys at all Sunday. We ran Orange first since Troy said it was pretty cool now that he added a rock section. Of course, he was right. After lunch we ran some of Green, and then played in the quarry because some of the rigs were limping.

Orange has been re-marked, re-routed and had the rock section added. It's nice to have a change, and the rocks are cool. The first part is not too tough, then you start going up and down some steep hills with big rocks and loose dirt. The 3rd hill looks pretty tough. Just looking at it, I thought my chances of making it were slim. I crawled the rocks in 1st, then just before it changed to dirt, I grabbed 2nd and nailed it. Everything was cool for the first half second or so, until the Jeep landed from the bounce, and the rear shaft dropped out. :D Just a broken u-joint. No one else tried that one, so it was lunch/repair time. Was a great day though - great weather, great wheeling and a lot of broken parts. :laugh:

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It was well worth our time to get down there. I'll get a few more pics up today

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just finished putting up the rest of the pics on my site. I have more but they are on a friends camera so it might be a few days before i get them too.

www.BrokenTrucks.com

10. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

TTT,
    Broken Trucks.com is a great name for a site.
    With my luck, I'd be the poster truck all the time. :haha: :haha: :haha:

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like a real blast Brian. Good pics. :D

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You guys are teasing me, I need to get my truck finished!!! I hat it just sitting

13. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Nice pics. I left my camera in the Jeep all day as usual. :rolleyes: