Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Badly stripped bolt need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77GMC15, May 21, 2001.

1. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Well I have taken my 400 out of my truck and the 350 rebuild is waiting to go in......BUT i had to take it out with the torque converter. All of the bolts on the flywheel to the torque converter were stripped. Vice grips got 3 off, the forth is so rounded nothing i have tried can get it off. Since i have to turn this in for new parts I can't drill it out because it goes into the torque converter (and the guy i have to turn it into lives accross the street). Any suggestions on getting it out? I want to get the engine and drive my truck, I miss it. I have a 4" lift waiting to go on and a locker on the way and need to get it done so i can take this thing places.

[​IMG]

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Try using a 6 inch pipe wrech. I have used one several times for rounded bolts and nuts.

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

have you tried heating it, with enough heat usually anything will come off..... Is the convertor just a core or is your neighbor using it? If it's just a core then hack it off, they'll usually take anything back.. my 2 cents

You call that dirty!?

4. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

It is just a core. I am gonna go after it tomorrow: pipe wrench, heat it, beating a smaller socket onto it, and trying to saw it. I wish i had the money to not turn it in and keep the 400 crank. Thanks DMK and mpascino. I just wish it wasn't getting up to 100 degrees here so it wouldn't be so hard to get out and work on it and stay out there for longer lengths of time. I can't wait until fall.

[​IMG]

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its fairly easy to get to you could weld a new nut onto whats left of the bolt.Ive done this as a last resort it works most of the time unless the bolt is way tight or seized.

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

6. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If your careful with a grinder you can grind two sides of the bolt flat which will give your vise grips a little more to hang on to.
    James

79jimmy@home.com

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

or just grind the head off : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's the ticket - A little lovin' with the grinder will take care of it.

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]