Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baffled about shock length's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 6, 2003.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Baffled about shock length\'s

Aight folks. I got 4" BDS springs front,and rear just screaming to go one. I bought Rancho 9000sx's for a 4" lift but they are the same size I have currently have my K5 now with a 2.5" lift. SO my question is should I stick with them or send them back and get longer ones??? I want some travel,but don't want to bottom out. Thanks folks!

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: Baffled about shock length\'s

What are the dimensions on the 9000's? The shocks I got with my 4" lift are about 19.5 compressed and about 31 extended. The 4" shocks could be short, or it may be the shocks for the 2.5" are longer than needed.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It usually depends, if you dont have much compression room you will bottom out your shocks, if you you dont have enough droop you will stretch your shocks out all the way alot and that will damage them. So you want to get a good medium, try jacking up your truck by the bumper and see how much droop you get and measuer how long the shock is at full drop and you can tell if you have long enough/short enough shocks.

4. UseYourBlinker

Here's what the 9000's are

Front RS99001
    15" Compressed
    22 1/2 Extended

Rear RS99112
    18" Compressed
    28" Extended

These are supposed to be for a 2 1/2" lift to a 4".

5. UseYourBlinker

If I were goin to install these 9000's that I just got,and were to install them on the 2.5" currently on my rig. I would only have about 2" before they would fully extend. I am goin to put a 4" lift on.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

rs99005's will fit MUCH better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif in the rear and offer a bit more travel without having to modify your shock mounts. That is what I have had the best luck with for lifts of 4-5'', hell, I am using the 9112's on the front in the stock location, so they must be a wee bit short for the rear huh /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif?