Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baffled over shock installation, need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, May 16, 2002.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

For my 90 stock K5 with dual shocks up front... I bought Pro Comp ES3000 all around. Installing the fronts, I can't get them both bolted in because they hit each other at the bottom. I can get the tops in fine, but the bottom of the shocks hit each other. Anyone else run into this problem? I called summit to make sure they gave me the right part number, and they are sure they did. Do I need to put more spacers in? Please advise. And if like it has been recommended before to leave one off to enhance ride quality, which one should I leave on? Should I invert one so one boot is on top and one on the bottom? Thanks in advance.

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my Rancho shocks, just put more spacers in there. If you want to leave one off I would leave the bigger one on, the one closets to the front. I don't think you should turn one of them upside down unless the shocks are specifically designed for that, I don't think Pro-Comp 3000 shocks are.

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Are you trying to bolt them both to the out side of the axel mount? one say betweenthe mount and spring and the other between the mount and wheel, Does tha make sense? the stock shocks do have smaller diameter bodies but the new ones should still fit, and no you can't run es3000s upside down, they have to be run with the body at the bottom, Ask Esteban86K5, or Kpanza, about that one they figured it out the hard way.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my RS9000's so I mounted them with the knob at the top. Do you know if it is okay to mount them upside down like this? It said in the instructions to only mount them upside down on S-series vehicles, but I doubt that the shock itself would be any different. It just seemed like a better way to mount them because I could just reach in my wheel well and adjust them without having to crawl under my truck.

5. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

I'm curious, why can't you run 3000 with the body at the top?