Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bagging and tagging????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Mar 19, 2007.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of finishing a MPFI 383 to go back in my '90 K5. I was very "ticky" in removing nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc. I cleaned, and painted everything and kept them in labled Ziplock bags. The thing is that I still have some hardware that never made it to a bag so I don't know where it came from. (I'm sure I'll find out soon enough). Anyway, I had heard somewhere that on that show American Hotrod or whatever it is, that Boyd Coddington makes those guys actually TAG and label each individual nut and bolt with a description of where it came from on the vehicle. What do you guys do to keep all this crap organized?

2. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

I usually lay it out neatly on the garage floor in the order it came off.Then I kick the parts all over the place numerous times while I'm working. I've been using this system for years, and it seems to work quite well.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I used a labeler and sometimes masking tape with marker on it.
    But I took my truck(s) apart in 1999, so the labels are faded now. It was a futile effort.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's the same system my dad uses, and one of the guys that worked for him for years just threw everything in a 5 gallon bucket. :haha:

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I used to tag stuff and use multiple coffe cans for different areas of the truck. now I have had everything apart so much I know where it goes. GM makes it easy, they only use about 3 different size bolts.

If you are putting it right back together then the method for remembering where things go is different then if it will be apart for a long time. Taking pictures or drawing diagrams helps with more involved stuff.

But If you can't figure out where a part goes then it must be some unneccessary part GM added for safety or emissions or some other crap.

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That's quote material there my friend.

7. Disturban

Disturban 1/2 ton status

hahahah...awesome!

8. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I recently swapped out the engine in my wifes Burb and used a cardboard box to keep parts in. Worked great until the bottom got wet. Next time I'll find a drain pan that doesnt already have something in it (the big one still has parts from my tranny swap sometime ago).

9. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

depending on what it is, I have been known to thread the bolt back in where it was taken out.

10. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status